Meat glue?

Trudy

I was recently reading about something referred to as "meat glue."Evidently, this is a kind of glue meat processors use to help combine meat particles and waste into what sells as meat. Japanese industries use it to make their artificial crab meat. It's also used to make sausages without the outside linings. This sounds really yucky and can't possibly be healthy eating.

Luvkenny

Nasty! I remember reading something about this too. I thought it was to put cuts of beef together to make a better cut of steak. Nasty! You really have to be careful what you buy these days. I now only buy my meat from a local butcher.

Greenwoman

I remember watching a documentary about it somewhere. This is just beyond gross and disgusting. I really wish that the corporations and processing industries really did treat us and see us as people rather than animals to whom they can sell scrap.

Primrose

Is this similar to the pink slime that has been in the news this year? I thought that was nasty enough but this is at least comparable. We have a taste tester in my house. If the cat won't eat it, then we know we shouldn't either. It's uncanny the way he knows something is not real food.

Trudy

I don't know whether pink slime and meat glue are referring to the same substances or not. Both of them sound equally disgusting to me. I would just like to buy good, old-fashioned meat and poultry, without anyone's attempt to make it better. It was good enough in the beginning.

Greenwoman

I believe that pink slime is actually a "meat filler" made from disgusting parts of animals that is added to foods to give a sense of "substance". Meat glue is used for gluing meats back together that were torn apart.

Trudy

Thanks for clearing that up, Greenwoman. Neither sounds tasty nor healthy. I'll bet they have plenty of weight and that customers get charged the same amount for the meat filler than they do for the meat.

chabella

All Lady
Just thinking the words "meat" and "glue" seems wrong on so many levels it gives me an upset stomach. I am surprised we do not find out about more things in foods that are sold to us as consumers. It is hard to find good (safe) meat these days, I know many people who only eat what they hunt or fish up.

Lilly

Okay, now I am not nearly as keen on eating the chili I made for dinner that has been simmering in the crockpot all day. Yuck! Why can't you just buy decent food anymore?!?