Making citrus oils

Valerienne

I've been reading a lot of good things around here about lemon and orange oils and I decided to make some by myself. But... how do I do that? Does it take a lot of work or special ingredients? Can I also make grapefruit oil?

Lyra

I think I have read about this before. I can't remember what the procedure was, but I want to say boiling or something similar. I bet you could make grapefruit oil. I can't see that it would be any different that lemons or oranges. If you find out how to do it, will you please share it with us? What do you plan to use the oils for?

Valerienne

I had some time and looked up lemon oil making, but what I found was a bit conflicting.

First method mixes lemon peels with olive oil, then puts it in a warm place for some time. Second method is cold-pressing peels. And third is distilling the oils in a distiller with boiling water or alcohol. Apparently it takes 150 lemons to make an ounce of oil, so it's not very efficient.

I was planning to use the oils for cleaning and skincare, but I think for cleaning purposes the olive oil mixture might not be the best. Although I've read that this kind of lemon oil is great for cooking.

AppleMay

It does sound a bit confusing and a little costly. I think I will stick to buying mine at a good price for now unless a simple recipe comes along. :)