Makeup

herbalnut

In general, I keep makeup to a bare minimum (i.e. mascara). The exception to this rule is for special occasions I will get all dolled up. I've been thinking recently though about how it affects my skin and was wondering about natural options available. What kind do you use? Have you found an alternative that is better for the skin?

SoftRain

I bought "organic" makeup once at the health food store, but I have since switched back to regular makeup. The organic makeup was much more expensive and I wear makeup so infrequently that I only use it once or twice before needing to throw it out, so I didn't see the point in spending the extra money in this case.

chabella

All Lady
Most of the people I know who age flawlessly are those that seldom wear anything. I have cut back a good bit from 10 years ago but I am not sure if the damage has already been done or not.

StarGazer

I've researched cosmetics and what goes into them, so I think it's well worth going organic or creating your own. Most cosmetics have all kinds of additives and chemicals that aren't good for you. Who knows what they do when combined!

Cassia

I don't use a lot of makeup. In fact, for my everyday look, I just need pressed powder and lipstick. The only time I get a full makeup is when I attend formal events or special occasions. I haven't tried organic makeup. I bet they're a lot expensive than the regular ones.

Lilly

I rarely wear make-up anymore unless it is a special occasion. No need to get all dolled up to chase the kids around the house all day! I have a lot of friends who have started making their own make-up though and it looks pretty simple to do.

freshfoodie

I would be really interested in making my own. I don't wear makeup very often either, but I never really have. It was not a big deal in my household growing up and my dad actually pushed the idea on us girls that we shouldn't have to coat our faces in makeup to be considered beautiful. I am sure that none of the commercially made cosmetics, repair serums, etc are good for us in any way.

chabella

All Lady
I would just prefer something that is simple to use, an overall powder that would work well with my skin tone and provide the all over look. Anytime my sinuses freak out so does my face being sensitive and having reddish spots.

Last edited:

Lyra

I can't afford all organic or natural makeup. So I just get mineral blush. I figure that is being absorbed directly into my skin, so I want at least that to be chemical-free.

Myrrh

I have yet to try organic makeup, and I am not sure if I can afford it either. To begin with, I am not really into makeup. To put color on my face, a dab of lipstick and face powder will do.

Raspberry Leaf

There are several recipes online for making your own lip stains, lipsticks, and eyeshadows that are relatively simple and cheap to make. Have you tried checking Etsy for homemade cosmetics?

chabella

All Lady
E.L.F mineral makeup is okay and sometimes the prices are great but that is the only time I order from them. If you keep an eye out for a promo code or signup on their site you can get the newsletter. I might order once a year but it works fairly well and I am not a daily user either.

WeepingWillow

I usually just wear mascara most days because I also have sensitive skin. But, when I do wear foundation, I wear mineral foundation. Physician's Formula is a good and affordable option. Their line of cosmetics are targeted towards people with sensitive skin.