Make a Lamp from an Orange!

peacenik

That is pretty cool but I think it's harder to do than it looks. Have you ever tried to take the entire peel off at once like that? Not easy and to get the stem part is even trickier.

I found a very interesting video on youtube, about how to make a lamp from an orange. My first thought was of this forum. I think that this would be perfect thing to use if you lost power and had nothing else to use.

Make a Lamp from an Orange in 1 minute. - YouTube
This is so cool. I am going to do this with my grandchildren on Thursday. We usually throw our orange peels in the compost bin, but on Thursday we will be doing this great craft project, thank you for posting!

Somniate

Wow this is actually amazing! I never thought that oranges could be used like this. Great job of posting this.
Thank you! It probably smells really good too, thinking of it. Not sure if Citrus and Oil smells good, but I do know that oranges smell great.

That is pretty cool but I think it's harder to do than it looks. Have you ever tried to take the entire peel off at once like that? Not easy and to get the stem part is even trickier.
I'm sure they had to practice it a few times to get it done properly. One person commented that they had to eat about 26 oranges before they had it properly done.

This is so cool. I am going to do this with my grandchildren on Thursday. We usually throw our orange peels in the compost bin, but on Thursday we will be doing this great craft project, thank you for posting!
You're welcome! It's great that you're doing crafts with your grandkids.

Trudy

I'm with the others. This looks like a great project to try with the kids when they're indoors this week. They're out of school, and the weather is turning cold. So much goes for spring break. Thanks for the orange candle idea.

Parker

This is crazy cool. I think if you use oranges with thick skins, it will be easier to remove the peel. I think I will do this with my niece. She will get a big kick out of it.

Thanks for the share.

hunysukle

I would love to make some of these lamps. I love creating natural alternatives to ordinary household items. This looks really inexpensive and fun to do. I bet they make your home smell of citrus, too.

2Nature

I love these kind of crafts, especially when food is involved. There are a lot of things than you can make out of an orange skin.

Wow! What a great idea! We always have oranges in our house because everyone in our family loves them. If we ever lose power and don't have any other means of light, I will definitely keep this in mine. I wonder how long they last for?

Somniate

Wow! What a great idea! We always have oranges in our house because everyone in our family loves them. If we ever lose power and don't have any other means of light, I will definitely keep this in mine. I wonder how long they last for?
In the video it said for six to eight hours. That's pretty good, especially for something simple. I think it would depend on how well you get the stem out of the orange, and how much wind is hitting it.

EthanWang

Great idea! Have you tried it at home? I want to make one as a gift to my mother but im very careless and didn't have any experience with this kind of craft :(