Lye Soap-Granny's Cure All

HonorBound

My grandmother used to use lye soap for everything. She would use it to bathe use after we were in weeds to make sure we didn't break out with poison ivy, she would use it on scratches saying if we cleaned them that way they wouldn't get infected. She also used it on us to make sure we didn't have any insects that had gotten into our hair after we had been playing in the woods all day. It must have worked because we didn't have anything happen. She would also wash the dogs with lye soap which she said killed the fleas. It worked pretty well.

Lilandra

As a matter of fact, when I was growing up my mom used lye soap for housecleaning. And some people back then did add lye to their bath water.

HonorBound

Well, Granny used to tell me the lye was "out of" the soap by the time you got to the soap stage so I guess it's gone. I love the scent of the soap even with nothing in it. It seems like it smells so clean to me.

remidies

I don’t think I would be able to use lye soap. I have eczema on my hands. I have a really hard time finding soap I can use. My hands only are super dry and crack. My poor mother did everything under the sun to cure it. I had to drink up some nasty herbs and pills as a child. I am pretty healthy though.

ThymeforRodney

I'm not sure how lye soap would do with your hands. I don't have any problem with it but I do know that women used to have trouble with raw hands after using it to clean with.

HerbJane

After the saponification process, the process which makes soap indeed soap, there is no lye left in the soap. If you let the soap cure it is safe to use even for the most sensitive skin, especially if it is an unscented and natural soap.

soursop

I know that soap made the natural way without any harsh chemical ingredients is the best. There are no allergic reactions to its components cuz they are all natural. Maybe it would help you, remidies. It helped my son.

ThymeforRodney

Lye soap is good for a lot of things. My wife and I made some but it didn't set so we had to throw it out. We were afraid the lye would still be active since it didn't set the way it was supposed to.

HerbJane

Lye soap is good for a lot of things. My wife and I made some but it didn't set so we had to throw it out. We were afraid the lye would still be active since it didn't set the way it was supposed to.
You could have just put it in a crock pot and cooked it for a bit and it would have gelled properly and could have been saved

Whitecrow

Lye soap

In the old days when people made their own lye from wood ashes, soapmaking was a chancey business. Even more recently, if the lye isn't measured precisely, it is possible to make soap that's "lye-heavy" which will, indeed, irritate the skin. This is the source of the old-wives-tales about lye soap burning the skin. ALL soap is lye soap, there is no other way to make it.

wanderingherb

In the old days when people made their own lye from wood ashes, soapmaking was a chancey business. Even more recently, if the lye isn't measured precisely, it is possible to make soap that's "lye-heavy" which will, indeed, irritate the skin. This is the source of the old-wives-tales about lye soap burning the skin. ALL soap is lye soap, there is no other way to make it.
Yes and while we're at it, glycerin is a by product of soap. Lye is still used.

As for the sensitive skin, sometimes some 100% liquid Olive oil soap is the best.

Please those of you who make soap correct or add to this if you'd like! I love soap discussions!

If interested in making hard soap (not liquid): goatmilk, honey, and finely powdered oats in at least a 70% of olive oil is an excellent soap for skin that is sensitive. In fact you could use a combo of 60% Olive, 15% Neem oil (stinks to high heaven but in smaller ratios its not bad), and the rest (25%) a hard oil such as Babassu or Coconut. It won't lather up real well but it wouldn't be harsh on the skin and the neem might be helpful to the inflammation caused by eczema, psoriasis or other issues. It really isn't that hard to make a goatmilk soap. I use pure and no water added. Just watch how much honey you put in. LOL. Honey will cause higher temps and burn the milk. You could also use buttermilk. I have done this because I couldn't get goatmilk.

As for the oil combo, if someone would like to add more suggestions I too would like to hear them!!

Sigh...I really miss making soap. I really miss having soap making buddies.:(

wanderingherb