Lye In Soap

enthusiast

When you make soap, what does the lye do for it? Is it necessary to use lye? If you can make soap without lye, what is the difference in the soap when you're done?

Joyce

Lye is needed to make the fats into soap, it does something called saponification which leaves you with soap. Without lye you cannot get soap. Melt and pour does not require lye, but it is not the same either.

Joyce

Exactly! No lye means no soap. You need it for anything to do with soap, some you have to do yourself, some come already done like the melt and pour bases.

enthusiast

Thank you for explaining that. I didn't realize that lye is essential for making soap and I'm glad that us straightened out for me. Isn't lye dangerous, though? What kind of special handling does it require?

Joyce

It requires lots of ventilation, goggles and gloves, make sure you add the lye to the water not the water to the lye, it tends to mix well, also have dishes specifically for mixing it, don't take stuff you use daily unless it is glass because glass won't carry the stuff with it, others leech.

wanderingherb

Whatever you do, never use aluminum. stick to stainless steel or glass containers. I used a old crock pot container crock pot didn't work anymore picked it up for free, and to mix the lye a pyrex large measuring cup to stir plastic spoon some use wood, but heavy plastic one works as well. Oh and I used a braun mixer one of those hand ones! It goes into trace in about 5 minutes!! After you add the lye to the oil, never the other way. So you add the lye to the oils at certain temp never the oil to the lye. Just as lye to the water not add water to the lye.

TonicForMe

I've always been amazed at the process of soap making. My mother used to make plain lye soap and we used it for everything. It was wonderful for poison ivy and washing hair. If I find people now at the craft fairs, I buy the plain stuff and use it. Mom used to use it to wash clothes. It was really good to get stains out even though after the soap is made the lye is inactive.

wanderingherb

Lye is caustic, true, but that high temp is needed to saponify the oils into soap! Then, yes, it basically burns out. It has done its job. You can also use ph strips to find the ph level in soap you make. I used them a lot with batches, so using different amounts of lye, or milks, or fats etc all came out with different ph levels. It was pretty fun! I felt like a mad scientist!

Healthy4us

Soap Making is a science. Thank you for explaining the important steps of what to and what not to do in adding the lye. What do you use such as a lanolin to keep the soap from drying, or to prevent your skin from becoming overly dry? I remember there was talk of using oils - such as olive oil. Since this is homemade without all the preservatives, maybe it is different that commercial soaps as it does not dry out your skin? I was never fortunate enough to ever have used or knew of anyone who made homemade soap.

Joyce

In my soap, I use a percentage of olive oil to prevent my skin from drying out. I am not a big fan of lanolin and I have not tried it in any of my soap, can't speak for anyone else though.