Low Motivation

SoftRain

Today is the last day I'm working out before going on vacation for a few weeks. You would think I would want to go, but I'm having a difficult time talking myself into going.

What do you do to keep your motivation up?

Aletha

I don't have motivation this year for anything. I have been so disheartened this year, it wouldn't matter to me if there was a Christmas. I love the meaning of Christmas, but the commercial aspect has me so depressed this year. I've also lost some family this year and it isn't helping anything.

Trudy

We all have those lows in our lives. Do check to make sure you're getting enough Vitamin D. Then get into the sunshine and walk in the fresh air as much as you can handle. Sooner or later, you'll be stepping a little lighter and faster, as well as smiling more.

Pinkle

Whenever I'm faced with a task that I don't necessarily want to do, I try to think about the positive aspects of getting it done, like focusing on my paycheck when I don't want to get up in the mornings and go to work. With working out, I try to visualize myself on the scale, 2 or 3 pounds lighter. Maybe it sounds dumb to others, but it works for me. :)

Luvkenny

I'm really low on motivation these days too. I really don't have an answer for you to help with your motivation. Are you going somewhere fun? I love time off from work but I always think about all the work building up and waiting for me when I return.

Valerienne

I have a lot of advice on motivation, but alas, am very bad at following it.

What helped me the most, I find, is one time when I went to Buddhism classes at my university and the professor told this anecdote where a pupil asked his Master how to make the menial daily tasks less tiresome. He asked, "Master, how do I make it easier to get up every day, make my breakfast, take a shower, work all day, and then do it all over again?" The Master answered: "It's simple. You get up, make your breakfast, take a shower, work all day, and then do it all over again." The trick is to not put any thoughts and unneeded analysis between yourself and the task.

Well, that's easier said than done. I'm a pathological overthinker and there's nothing I can't talk myself out of doing, but at least I identified it as the main reason of my low motivation :)