Low Melatonin Levels Linked to Diabetes

MissEm

I was sitting at Rite Aid today waiting for a prescription and I picked up a pamphlet that said that low levels of melatonin in women have been linked to a greater type II diabetes risk. I found this article from USA Today that backs up what I read at the pharmacy. Interesting, to say the least.

Greenwoman

It's actually kind of strange. If I recall, isn't melanin the pigment found in skin? If so, why are there so many of African descent who have diabetes?

Cassia

It's actually kind of strange. If I recall, isn't melanin the pigment found in skin? If so, why are there so many of African descent who have diabetes?
I think melanin and melatonin are not the same. :) Yes, melanin is the one which gives color to hair. On the other hand, melatonin is the hormone which regulates the body's circadian rhythm.

Lilly

Melanin and melatonin are two totally different things. :) Melanin affects eye, skin, and hair color and melatonin helps you stay asleep. That was an interesting article and it will certainly be something to watch as their study progresses.

Elberberry

I wonder if melatonin supplements would aid in the treatment of diabetes. I am always looking for natural ways to control my diabetes other than pills or insulin.