Lotion Bars

freshfoodie

So these are not quite soap but they have the same kind of ingredients in them and you mold them in soap molds. Basically it is shea butter, coconut oil, Vitamin E and beeswax all melted down together and molded into fun shapes. Then when you need a little moisturizer you just rub it on. Has anyone ever used these? Do they work well?

lettuce

No, I've never heard of that, but it sounds intriguing! How are they able to rub off on your hands without water? Do they travel well?

freshfoodie

I haven't made them yet so I am not sure exactly how they work but they sounded amazing and really simple to make. I love the simplicity of it. I will let you know how they turn out after I make them the first time. However the woman who posted the recipe on her blog said she used them for psoriasis.

SoftRain

I have a lotion bar and just ordered the kit to make them myself (in the future I'll probably just order the ingredients alone though). The lotion bar melts a little with your body heat so you can rub a thin moisturizing layer on your skin.

Hickorycottage

I love lotion bars! You don't need special equipment or ingredients for these. I make mine out of beeswax, vegetable oil, and shortening. They're wonderful! I give them away for gifts, sell them, and use them myself. The beeswax gives them a nice honey scent. MMMMMMM! They are not at all like soap, except they may
look like it, depending on the shape of the mold you use.

Parker

I have never heard of a lotion bar, but I really want to try one. The shea butter and coconut oil mix sounds intriguing. It sounds like a rub it on my skin at anytime. I always carry lotion with me, but I will definitely try this. I wonder if the Body Shop or Bath and Body carries them.bbb

I actually have used these and the one I used was made from goats milk from Pine Lane Soaps. They do an excellent job and I have to say after using these bars my hands are smooth as silk. So I know for a fact the bars do work and provide some great feeling skin!

These sound really cool! I think my kids would really enjoy making them with me and they would make really neat gifts too. Definitely want to give this a try.

Maverickhope

I am thinking that once it works please post a recipe. I have extremely dry skin and carrying lotion around can be messy and inconvienent. I am super excited about this and will be keeping an eye on the thread. Thank you for sharing. I am sure with a little tweaking you can add other scents.

Suzie

I've never heard of lotion bars. These sound really neat; I would like to try one. I wonder if you can order them from a specialty shop instead of making them yourself?

I have bought one of these from Lush and really did like it. I never thought of making them myself but I found a video that makes it sound easy enough. There is also a link under the video that tells you where she finds her ingredients now since the vendor she talks about is no longer available.

Waynefire

I really like the lotion bars they are easier to use. I know for me it really makes a difference because I just have to rub my hands on it to get them to work properly. Without this, I would have the major issue of having a lotion bottle and with my cats the bottles would become a ticking time bomb of mess on the counter!

TabithaW

Lotion bars are super easy. They are 1 part wax, 1 part butter & 1 part oil. You melt them in a microwave or double boiler and pour them into your mold to firm up. If it's too firm remelt and add more oil. If it's too soft remelt and add more wax or hard butter (like cocoa). I prefer them poured into deodorant style twist up containers. In bar form they are hard to store, get sticky and lint & what not sticks to them.