Licking post-surgery wound

Valerienne

My cat had a minor surgery done recently and it left a stitched-up incision, around an inch long, on his underbelly. The vet gave me a post-sterilization apron for the cat to wear, but when I put it on him, he got depressed, couldn't pee properly and had trouble walking. So I take pity on him and take the apron off, but I'm worried what can happen if he licks this wound. Will it not heal properly?

Also, for those of you who had female cats sterilized - does the wound scab or is it always clean-looking with no sign of bloody flesh?

Also, most importantly - is there something I can apply on the wound so the kitty doesn't lick it?

ETA: I did ask my vet all those questions, but she just kind of chastised me and told me not to allow any licking, period. I just want to know what to expect and when to know something is wrong. Cat seems to be feeling fine and not in pain at all.

Lyra

There is no way you can keep an animal from licking unless you block their access to the wound. Licking actually helps a wound heal, but in the case of stitches the concern is that the stitches will be dislodged. I hope your kitty feels better soon!

Valerienne

Thank you, Lyra, my kitty had the stitches removed yesterday and he's fine :) He did have a small scab that appeared a few days after the surgery, probably from pulling one or two stitches, but my vet said it was nothing to worry about. Thankfully he didn't lick the wound excessively, just his routine grooming.

Luvkenny

That surprises me that he/she did not lick it more. Wasn't sure which it was since you said him and then asked about a female cat? Licking would help heal the area. That is what my vet told me when my cats were fixed.

Valerienne

My cat is male. I asked about female cats because he had a procedure similar to sterilization of female cats (he had a testicle removed that didn't drop out of his groin during puberty) and he even wore one of those post-sterilization aprons that cover the wound on the belly.

Weird. My vet always tells me that licking is necessary evil with regular wounds, but it should be prevented post-surgery as a cat's tongue is very rough and he can rip the stitches with his teeth and lick the wound open. I think my cat might be lazy or the wound just didn't bother him, it didn't look painful or even itchy.