Lemon Balm

Treehugger

Has anyone here ever grown the herb lemon balm? I would like to know the best way to take care of it, how much water, sun, etc. I am told this makes a great tea.

jason

Have a great day
I've had best luck growing it down here in Florida in partial shade and moist fertile soil. I talked to someone who was in a colder zone and they tole me more sun light and better draining soil worked for them.

I think this is just one of those plants that need different growing conditions depending on where you are at. You can try growing it indoors in sunlight and moist soil though.

SuzyQ

I have a garden full of the stuff. It's like mint and just seems to spread all by itself. If you're not careful it will take over the whole garden. It does smell lovely though. I think it will grow anywhere.

Glinda

I have had lots of success with mint here in the south, but I haven't tried lemon balm yet. I'm sure the fragrance is fantastic and I would love to have some for iced tea in the summer.

If lemon balm is similar to mint, it should be fairly easy to grow. My mint actually survives the winter here and requires little attention. I could see where it could take over a garden - I have to keep an eye on the mint or it will get out of control :)