Lasik

chabella

All Lady
Has anyone here had this? I am really thinking about it as I am tired of toting around (or losing) my glasses. I barely need them. Only one eye has an issue and it is fairly minor. How expensive is Lasik?

SoftRain

Last I knew it was around $4500 for both eyes but that was years ago and I believe prices have dropped since then. I'm considering getting it done myself.

Lilly

You can get Lasik done for around $2000 an eye now, and many doctors will work with you on a payment plan. I would love to have it done, but right now I don't even have insurance.

Luvkenny

I will never get it done! I don't mind wearing glasses. There is no way that I am taking a chance with my eyesight. I would rather wear glasses forever than chance going blind from an unnecessary surgery.

StarGazer

I looked into Lasik surgery but I'm not a candidate due to how severe my vision problems are. I doubt that I would get it even if I could, though. You don't hear about the failures but they're out there and it's scary how bad it can go.

SoftRain

That is probably why some doctors recommend only doing one eye at a time. If something goes wrong, you still have one safe eye. On the other hand, I don’t think I could get up the nerve to undergo Lasik more than once, so if I do it, I’d likely do both eyes and hope for the best.

Aconite

Well, around my city, we have one guy who does it for $500 an eye. He's part of a big medical group that's done over 1,000 procedures though. Years ago, I had a boss who did it, and he was back to wearing glasses after paying $5000 and I don't think he got his money back. There is a risk with everything, so just weigh the pros and the cons.

chabella

All Lady
I have actually had eye surgery before and compared to what I had back in the 80s this should be a cake walk. I am going to check on prices and insurance this week to see how my insurance covers it. I am not sure if I want to spend a few grand when I have already done the same (this year) on dental work.

herbalnut

Lasik is a great alternative to glasses. When considering the cost of it, I don't think it's expensive at all. Think of all of the money that you spend on buying a new pair of prescription glasses, which can be several hundred dollars depending on your need. Over years and years the glasses will end up costing more than that procedure.

chabella

All Lady
The cost is not really a problem for me with prescription glasses as it is when it comes to the select few that my insurance will cover. I have never fully understood that. The last time I headed to get a new pair I had 9 to pick from (this includes glasses for women and men).

SoftRain

Well that's just it. Lasik is a big upfront cost but assuming it works well, it should save you some money in the long run. I'm not really looking into it for money reasons though; I'm just sick of the hassle of glasses and contacts.

Aconite

If it works for you, then I say it's great! If not, I think the doctor should have a clause in the contract to give you your money back. Of course, I bet if you ask the doctor for this conditional clause, he'll laugh at you.