Laser eye treatment

SuzyQ

Has anyone ever had this done? It's expensive, so I need to know if it works. I especially need to know if there are any dangers or contraindications before I consider it too.

SoftRain

I haven't because it scares me, but my husband had it done. He had to have a variety called PRK because he had thin corneas, so he had a longer recovery time (about 3 days) and it was not fun but he says it was totally worth it. His vision is excellent and has been since he had the surgery done 7 years ago.

I'm not sure of the side effects, but I believe worse vision, particularly "halos" around bright lights, are a possibility.

Valerienne

I also want to have it done, but I can't afford it right now. I've only heard positive opinions from people who had the procedure. Maybe there are negative outcomes, but I haven't met anyone who had one. I think I've talked to one person who said the procedure was ineffective at first attempt, so they had to repeat it.

SuzyQ

I'll really have to study what people say about it. I have to save before I can afford it in any case, but I'm not sure yet whether to risk possible side effects, plus I really don't like operations.

lolli

My insurance would pay a lot of it but I am too scared too. I know a couple of people who have had the surgery and they are super glad. Their surgeries went 100% fine.

nutti

Put me in the same category as the rest of you! I admit it, I'm a chicken/baby! I can see now with glasses, I don't want to take the chance that something could go wrong and I could go blind. My dad had the surgery and did fine. He keeps trying to talk me into it.

chabella

All Lady
I only know of one person who had it and it worked great for her, this was back when it just started up too so I am sure it has become better with progress over the years. My husband said our insurance does cover it and I have been kicking it around for a bit.

Lyra

I haven't because it scares me, but my husband had it done. He had to have a variety called PRK because he had thin corneas, so he had a longer recovery time (about 3 days) and it was not fun but he says it was totally worth it. His vision is excellent and has been since he had the surgery done 7 years ago.

I'm not sure of the side effects, but I believe worse vision, particularly "halos" around bright lights, are a possibility.
This is the one my husband had. The surgery was very fast and his recovery time was fast, too. Within 24 hours his vision could be measured as 20/20. But complete healing takes up to 6 months. There were a few times when he was convinced he'd made a mistake, because he was not fully recovered before the 6 months were up. But he did recover fully and has been so thrilled at his vastly improved sight.

Hedda

I know two people who had it done. For one, it went poorly, and he ended up having to wear prescription eye glasses anyhow. For the other, it worked out very well and he has had no issues.