Kids: Sick? or drama?

Lyra

I hate when you can't tell if your kid is truly sick or if they are just overtired or oversensitive. Not that my kids do much malingering. But sometimes the dramatics make it hard to tell if something is a plain old tummy ache or something that needs more attention.

lolli

I am pretty sure we all go through this. I tried to teach my kids the story of The Boy who Cried Wolf. Kids do get overly tired and they are whiney when they are tired.

chabella

All Lady
We had that issue this morning but it is funny when you remind them of something fun they quickly change their mind. This morning someone did not want to go into school for no real reason of course, I reminded her of the school shop for holiday gifts and out the door she went.

Lyra

Yes, that's a good technique, chabella. Many times I have asked my kids if they are so sick they won't be able to play with their friends come afternoon or so ill they must miss some event they are looking forward to. It does help to sort out the players from the ill. I forget about that one when the complaints come at bedtime.

Lilly

My kids don't go to school so I don't have to deal with this too often. My youngest will get overly sensitive when he is too tired though. Usually all my son wants is to be held until he falls asleep though.

Hyacinth

During the first few weeks of my nephew's junior kindergarten class, there were mornings in which he complained of stomach ache. His parents didn't buy his 'drama' because they knew he just didn't want to go to school. It's a great thing that after a month or so, he was able to adjust to the school environment, so that meant no more stomach aches in the morning. :)