Is It Worth It?

2Nature

I tried a few times to make candles in used tuna cans and they worked pretty well but is it really worth it to spend so much time with something you can buy right at the store? I know that some people enjoy doing this, but I'm asking nonetheless.

LillyZ

I think it is worth it to know how and to have the supplies, just in case. We had a week long power outage and the stores were sold out of candles. Plus with rising prices candles are getting costly.

iamloved1

I started out making products using essential oils and was eventually asked by my customers to make soy candles scented with essential oils. After several months of testing out waxes, wicks and dilution strength, I finally found a combination that works well. I don't know if I would go to all the trouble of making my own candles, but now that I sell them, I make them for myself, my friends and family all the time. They are cheaper and much better for our health since I don't use paraffin wax or other toxins. One of the nicest things is that I can continually refill the votives in my centerpiece for just pennies.

Trudy

I believe there has to be some amount of enjoyment to the whole process, or why do it in the first place? It's fun to do with other family members, so it's a project people can work on together. If it's just another chore, I'd do something else I found enjoyable.

SoftRain

I agree with Trudy. If you don't like making candles, don't do it. I personally find it enjoyable but I can see why someone would find it tedious.

Carolynn

This is not something I have started doing yet, but I think that it is important to have the knowledge and supplies to be able to do it. You never know when it might be a very useful skill to have. :)

I think it's worth it if you enjoy doing it and already have the supplies to do so. I don't think it is any cheaper to go out and buy the supplies. Candle making is fun for me and I enjoy doing it. I never thought about making them in tuna cans. I will have to keep this in mind.

lettuce

If what you make is of comparable quality for less money, then why wouldn't it be worth it? Unless you don't enjoy the process, of course.

hunysukle

It depends on how much extra time you have to spend making candles and whether or not you enjoy it. A lot of the candles in the store contain artificial fragrances and chemicals that are unhealthy to inhale. Unless you want to spend extra money on quality candles, you're better of making them yourself.

freshfoodie

My significant other and I enjoy making candles together so it is worth it for us to have a craft that we can both participate in. I personally think that the candles we make are of better quality because as others have said they don't have all the bad stuff in them. They also tend to burn longer and smell better.

2Nature

Thanks for all the answers guys. I like making candles and it is a great hobby. But like others have mentioned if there is no enjoyment then why bother, find something more interesting.

EthanWang

Undoubtedly buying items and hand-made at shops is much more convenient. But in my perspective, i think that making your own one always bring great feelings and so much fun. When you give it to your friend as a gift , it will be very meaningful ! ^^

Fiverr Exposed

I have also wondered if it was really worth it, but I guess like anything else, once you get a system going, it will eventually get easier and you can also get to the point where you can sell your wares to others.

I've bought some wicks from Michael's before, but never actually made the candle. Hopefully I can learn some good tips here to get me back into it!