Is Chiropractic Dangerous?

somebody

Somebody told me that visiting a chiropractor can be dangerous. Is there anything dangerous about it at all? I have been curious about going and trying it out but I'm scared after hearing some of the stories from friends and family.

Gracie

I think it's dangerous but that is just my opinion. I'm afraid that they will go to "put me back in place" and knock out a vertebrae or something. I won't go for that reason alone!

Hedda

I had a friend who had chronic hip pain who went to a chiropractor. After her visit with him she was in excruciating pain. She had a hairline fracture and didn't know it, and then he made it much worse.

fit2be

That is my worry too - getting hurt worse by them moving things without checking to see what is causing the pain in the first place. No thanks! Not for me. I'll take the pain.

ThymeforRodney

It can be if they don't know what they are doing. I've seen some injuries to spines and surrounding areas because of carelessness and lack of preparation. I do love my chiropractor though. He has helped me through some very painful times. The guy I see goes to continuing education programs about four times a year though and he has had many years in the business without a problem.

naturelady

I don't know why chiropractors get such a bad rap, but a lot of people do feel that way. Personally, I don't believe chiropractors are any more dangerous then regular doctors.

Myrrh

According to what I read, one of the side effects of chiropractic treatment is that it could make the pain worse. Another possible danger is the risk of fracture. There was also a study in which the findings implied that chiropractic neck manipulation could trigger stroke.

jason

Have a great day
Do not go to a chiropractor that does not require x-rays before work. As my friend who is a chiropractor told me, that is one of the top things they teach. You cannot see any problems with the bones and such without an x-ray.

I think they get a bad rep due to the newness of the practice, and it does not follow western traditional medicine practices where they prescribe you a pill or cut you open.

Can they be dangerous? Sure.

Can you go to a doctor to have your appendix removed, and leave without a foot? Sure.

Does that mean you should stop going to the doctor on a slim chance something can go wrong? Or should you research your doctor thoroughly before using them?

Asturian

Good point. Chiropractic could be dangerous if performed by a non competent chiropractor. So, always go to a competent chiropractor only and make user it is done correctly.

Green Envy

Jason, you've put this extremely well. I know a few people who consider chiropractors "quacks." Such is the myth that has grown up around them. I also know a couple of chiropractors who are extremely good at what they do. I can say the same of various doctors I've known.

jason

Have a great day
Just to expand the point a little further. A young girl around 17 went to the dentist for wisdom teeth removal. To much sadness, she passed away due to complications. Now, does that mean you should stop going to the dentist for wisdom teeth removal? Or should they do what they are talking about and have dentists trained better in first responder type situations?

This is why, even when someone goes for a common surgery, I get nervous. You never know what can happen, even if it is a slim chance.

I used to work at a chiropractic office and none of the patients in the three years I was there, were ever hurt by coming to the office. The office I worked at required x-rays for any new patients as well as for any new symptoms/injuries that a patient may have. I agree that it can be scary, but if the doctor is properly trained and takes the correct precautions, I think it can be very beneficial.

amy71219

I think like with any profession there are good chiropractors and bad ones. I went to one chiropractor that didn't do any xrays or education before he adjusted me and I really didn't like him. Before choosing another one I did a lot of research and found a really good one. I had to get xrays and watch a video about chiropratic care. After my first visit I got a folder that had had exercise I could do to help my back, what my problem areas were and how bad they were, and a drawing of the spine and the problems being out of alignment in certain areas could cause.

SjNative

Chiropractor is not dangerous at all! I used to go when I was in junior high school to help fix my back and shoulder pain. A couple sessions went by and I could significantly feel the difference when sitting down or laying down in bed. Just find the right chiropractor that you feel comfortable with and try a few sessions. If you feel that it hurts you more than help you, stop going.

dkramarczyk

This definitely makes me scared to ever try out a chiropractor. There are so many people that have had bad experiences with them. I would hate to go in and then end up coming out worse and needed to go to the emergency room. I would imagine in that case though, it would be the chiropractor's company that would have to pay for the bill though, since they caused the problem.

Carolynn

I have been thinking about going to one for awhile, but I must admit I am scared. So far the offices I have called all require x-rays though so I guess that is a good sign! :)

I think it's dangerous if you don't go with a professional. Although I haven't really tried it but I don't think that your life will be in danger if you go see one.

If they do not know what they are doing it is dangerous. However, if they are properly trained it can be a good time and very pain relieving. So you just have to use your best judgement on how well trained the doctor is who is doing the work.

dziomek

I have gone in the past and have never had any major complications. I haven't gone for a few years, mainly because he doesn't take the time to loosen the muscles and joints before an adjustment. In my case I think perhaps a masseuse might be a better option. He does take x-rays of new patients and new conditions, and I know he does go for upgrading on a quarterly basis at least. My Mom goes to him almost weekly, which is too often in my opinion.

2Nature

I had a friend that had a bad back that went to a chiropractic. After a few sessions he was completely healthy and he was struggling with lower back pain for many months. This story can only attribute Jason's statement, which I support.