iron combo's

chabella

All Lady
I know most people suggest something like spinach and tomatoes but to be honesty I not really fond of tomatoes. I started a few months ago with just scrambled eggs then adding in red & green peppers. It does the trick for me. Anyone else have an iron combo to share?

StarGazer

The key thing to combine with any iron-rich food (or when taking a supplement) is to add a small glass of orange juice to the meal. This may work for any vitamin C-rich drink or food, but I'm not sure of that. The vitamin C helps the body absorb and utilize more of the iron than it does without it.

Greenwoman

I was told that hot cereal was high in iron. Specifically, my father always recommended eating Malt-o-Meal for times when we suspected iron to be low. I always add a little sweetener to it to taste.

chabella

All Lady
I never knew about the orange juice but we do keep vitamin C around the house just in case we are out of orange juice. Our kids seem to think that orange juice is better than Kool-Aid so orange juice goes quick for for. I am not about to make them stop thinking it.

Luvkenny

I love tomatoes but I did not know they were high in iron. I wish I knew other foods that had a lot of iron in them. I was just going to start taking an iron supplement. I would rather eat foods with iron. I hate taking pills.

Cassia

Tomatoes aren't a favorite, but I have no issues having them. Greenwoman, I also read somewhere that hot cereal is a good source of iron. I checked out some lists of iron-rich foods, and here are some of what's on the list: kidney beans, lentil, broccoli, quinoa, tofu, and dark chocolate.