Intimidation

SoftRain

I think making soap is interesting, but I am daunted by the prospect of doing it myself. Part of it is logistical, since I have small children running around, but part of it is just...me. I keep trying to make myself purchase supplies and just do it, but I haven't been able to make the leap yet.

Carolynn

Maybe you should start with something kind of easy. I found recipes for making liquid hand soap and powdered and liquid laundry detergent on Pinterest, and they are very easy to do. :)

wanderingherb

I would wait til my kids were asleep then make a batch, doesn't really take long. Make sure you mix the lie into to fluids not other way around. Keep in well ventilated area. Takes about 15 minutes for the temp to fall. Stirring the entire time. Stainless steel, plastic or wood spoon. Otherwise will react with lye. Good luck!!!

SoftRain

I would wait til my kids were asleep then make a batch, doesn't really take long. Make sure you mix the lie into to fluids not other way around. Keep in well ventilated area. Takes about 15 minutes for the temp to fall. Stirring the entire time. Stainless steel, plastic or wood spoon. Otherwise will react with lye. Good luck!!!
That's a good idea. My kids are terrible sleepers so they go to bed late but if I'm willing to stay up, I could still do it. Where do you store your soap for curing so it is out of their reach?

Thanks for all the tips. :)

wanderingherb

Oh Gosh I'm sorry, meant to respond. I would put mine either outside covered well in wool blankets or somewhere that the kids didn't frequent. By the next day though your soap should not be harmful. Might cause a slight burning. Still not good. I've even put it in my room before and shut the door.

april222

Have you considered melt and pour?

I had the same concerns as you and finally went with the melt and pour options. I make an olive oil base soap and a goats milk soap. It's pretty simple, you just cut up small cubes and melt in the microwave. You want to make sure that you stir at 20 second intervals. Once it's melted, stir in any essential oils or colors and pour into a mold.

I would like to suggest that you order your base online from an actual bath and body store. I made the mistake of purchasing a block from a craft store the first time and it really didn't turn out that great. Relax and have fun.

shaunche

I had the same concerns as you and finally went with the melt and pour options. I make an olive oil base soap and a goats milk soap. It's pretty simple, you just cut up small cubes and melt in the microwave. You want to make sure that you stir at 20 second intervals. Once it's melted, stir in any essential oils or colors and pour into a mold.

I would like to suggest that you order your base online from an actual bath and body store. I made the mistake of purchasing a block from a craft store the first time and it really didn't turn out that great. Relax and have fun.
I like the idea of using olive oil and goat's milk. Is your soap all natural?

april222

They are made with high quality ingredients however they wouldn't be considered natural in that they have added properties for preservation purposes. I am however buying a block of their organic base with my next order so I'll get to see how well I like it. Another thought is that I like adding little swirls of colour and I know my colouring isn't natural.

chabella

All Lady
You are never going to know if you like it (or they do) unless you try. I do this all of the time with hobbies, some work out and some do not. It never hurts to try though!

SoftRain

Yes, I think I will try the melt and pour options first; that's a good idea. It gets way too hot here to cure the bars outside, though, so I think I will store them in our bedroom.

Thanks everyone!

Hickorycottage

Just don't lose the desire, and you will eventually get around to it. I wanted to make my own soap for years, and one day, I bought all the stuff and just did it. You don't need a lot of fancy equipment. Check out www dot wholesalesuppliesplus dot com.

lettuce

Why not commit part of a weekend when you don't have a lot going on to it? Have it be an experimental hobby during your free/fun time, and don't put so much pressure on yourself to have it turn out perfect.

wanderingherb

Okay let me clarify something real quick. You pour the soap in molds. Within the next day saponification has processed and you have soap. You cut the soap and let it dry. Cannot be too hot. If it melts...its not soap. Back to the drawing board.

And if one of the kids tries a taste of the soap at most they will spit it out, or throw up, or tingle tongue. I have yet to see a child take more than an experimental taste of soap. :) Spit it back out and not do again usually.

It is the saponification process you must keep out of the hands of little ones.

Melt and Pour is fun. Keep in mind. It is NOT soap. It is glycerin a by product of soap.

Anna T

Yeah, I'm also a little afraid to do it myself because of having kids running around. But doing it after they are in the bed would be a solution.

I worry anyway though because I'm skittish of anything that gets extremely hot. I am the girl that runs from the pan of bacon screaming when it pops out at her.

artistry

Excellent idea to wait for your children to be asleep. That will decrease your worrying. I have never thought anout making soap. My grandmother used to make soap, as I remember, when I was a small child. Maybe one day I will get adventrous and try it. I could then add soap maker to my talent page.