Intestinal Problems

Aletha

My little 6 pound Chihuahua has been having trouble recently. I came home and found her shaking, whimpering and panting one day and I ran her to the vet. I thought she was in bad shape. After he checked her out, he said he couldn't find anything specific except her hip joints were tender. He gave her a steroid shot and one arthritis pill but now, about a week later, she is having lots of mucous with soft stool. It's not worms because he checked her for that, what could it be? Could she have colitis or an inflammatory bowel??

So sorry to hear about your poor little Chihuahua. I know it can be very upsetting to us when something is wrong with our pets, they are like children to us. Sounds like the Vet needs to run some more test.

chabella

All Lady
I would contact the vet and let him or her know that things have progressed and you want the little one re-evaluated to see what is going on. That seems very strange if nothing else is going on. Has she ate anything bad lately?

Luvkenny

I would also call the vet and explain what is happening now. Sounds a bit more serious - a bit too serious for us to answer here. Good luck to you and your dog. I hope its nothing major.

Aletha

Thanks everyone. I did take her back to see him and he said she had some sort of inflammatory bowel virus. It did turn out to be temporary and she's fine now. He said that small dogs would sometimes have something like intestinal "flu" but it usually resolved on it's own which is what has happened. She's fine now and hasn't had any diarrhea for the last week. She did go on to have some vomiting too, but that's gone now as well.

SoftRain

I'm glad she is better now. It sounds like she was pretty miserable and no doubt you were worried. It's good that you took her back to see the vet again.