In-grown nail

Lyra

My brother-in-law has an in-grown toenail. My sister was asking me if I had any suggestions to help. I've never had one, though it's been close at times. The only thing I knew to suggest was an epsom salt soak. But I am not even sure what that will do for him. Any other suggestions?

StarGazer

Depending on how bad it has in-grown, he may be able to remove it himself after soaking the foot. If he's let it go for some time, it may be safer to have a podiatrist take care of it to ensure that it doesn't get infected or that he doesn't cause further damage.

freshfoodie

I get in-grown fingernails quite often. They can be pretty painful. I usually just rip them out or use the clippers or tweezers on them. The last one I had was so bad that when I pulled it out, I was bleeding!

chabella

All Lady
Mine started after my first child was born and I really can not remember how but I now go through the pain of dealing with it myself. I am worried if I see a doctor about it they are just going to cut it and then I will have a deformed nail bed.

Myrrh

Some people I know who have in-grown nails remove them by using clippers or tweezers. I have a friend though who had her in-grown nail surgically removed.

chabella

All Lady
I am worried that if mine keep up I am going to need them surgically removed too. I hate the idea of surgery on any type but the pain is sometimes just unbearable. I should probably talk to my doctor about it.

Lyra

My brother-in-law got his toenail taken care of. But now I'm curious. How do you know when it is bad enough to take it to the doctor? How common is this problem?

jason

Have a great day
I'm a bit strange as I'm told and cut mine out. Well the wife does it now after she went to school to do nails. But I used both my big toes are ingrown. So I just slice the nail down the side and pull it out.

I've been to two doctors who removed the nail and it grew back both times even with them saying they put stuff on it to prevent it.

Sometimes to relieve the pain I've seen people cut a big V in the middle of the nail. But it never worked for me.

PaloVerde

I had a friend that let his go for too long. I am not sure how he was able to ignore it because it looked extremely painful. He showed it to me and I just about cried looking at it! His toe was turning purple and it was obviously infected. He finally went to the doctor and they removed his toenail. The doctor scolded him pretty fiercely and told him if he had waited much longer it would have grown into the bone and he may have lost the entire toe!