In an emergency this makes an awesome candle

SweetPea

has anyone actually tried this? Before I go lighting cans of crisco I think Id want confirmation it does actually work.

Esperahol

That would certainly be a concern Jessi! I have kids so candles already have to be put well out of reach. Supposedly if you use the whole can they will burn for 45 days though, and that is a LONG time.

Esperahol you cracked me up! :)
What can I say? I need me some chicken for the hebie-jeebies and besides we don't get the kind of storms down here that would require a candle to burn for 45 days... Crisco, for the modern day Hanuka. Is that how you spell that? I honestly don't know.

Esperahol

I think I may have to buy a small can of Crisco and try this. I wonder if it smells like you are frying something? We have emergency candles, but if the power is out for a long time, this might actually be more cost efficient.
I doubt it will smell of anything, since it's only grease and you aren't actually cooking anything in it. It would be hilarious if it did bring to mind chicken or like fish fry.

This is awesome. I will be buying some huge cans of it from Sam's Club. I would put it into another jar like someone else stated and if it is big enough then use two or three wicks and refill as needed. This would be really good to use in a bug out bag as well since Crisco can last a long time and be used for many other things as well.

Jessi

Did you also see the Orange candle? You scoop out the flesh of the orange and burn the white pith in the skin. I havent tried it so I cant really vouch for the outcome.
I have never heard of this. Do you have a link for instructions or showing someone else's version and outcome?

Aletha

One tip about emergency candles, make sure they are UNSCENTED! We had a blackout one winter and were without electricity for about a week. It was horrible to have to burn all of the candles with all of the different scents. I thought my sinuses were going to kill me before it was over. I now have 6 oil lanterns and a bunch of unscented candles. I also have stored water that I change out at a regular interval and lots of food that you can eat without cooking. I learned a lot that winter.

catevanne

Here is another excellent idea I found on Pinterest. If you find yourself without electricity or candles you can make a candle out of a can of Crisco. Just take a wick and slide it in, and you will have a candle that will burn for 45 days! Here is a link if anyone is interested.
This is a great survival tip. Most of us know we need to have candles around for emergencies, but when things happen, we aren't as prepared as we need to be.

catevanne

One tip about emergency candles, make sure they are UNSCENTED! We had a blackout one winter and were without electricity for about a week. It was horrible to have to burn all of the candles with all of the different scents. I thought my sinuses were going to kill me before it was over. I now have 6 oil lanterns and a bunch of unscented candles. I also have stored water that I change out at a regular interval and lots of food that you can eat without cooking. I learned a lot that winter.
Lanterns are great to have-either oil or battery lanterns. I like the battery kind, just have to be sure I have plenty of batteries.