In an emergency this makes an awesome candle

Carolynn

Here is another excellent idea I found on Pinterest. If you find yourself without electricity or candles you can make a candle out of a can of Crisco. Just take a wick and slide it in, and you will have a candle that will burn for 45 days! Here is a link if anyone is interested.

I would have never thought of using a can of Crisco to make a candle. I guess it would pay to pick up some of the smaller cans now and then to keep on hand just for something like this.

dissn_it

I have never heard of doing this before. We usually have a few candles laying around the house but it is good to know that this can be done in a pinch and lasts for a lot longer than a regular candle would. Thanks for the share!

Carolynn

Your welcome guys! I picked some Crisco up at the store over the weekend, but now I need to find some long wicks. I have never cooked with Crisco before, but I thought it was a pretty neat idea and it's cheaper than "emergency" candles.

Esperahol

B-but if I use Crisco for candles, what will I cook my chicken with? I need chicken - it makes the blackout not so scary.

Jessi

Ha, I guess that's one way to do it. huh? I knew you could make candles out of Crisco...I mean, it is a fat that's flammable, of course. Generally I would expect people to put it in another container or mix it with other things, though. To burn the whole can is kinda funny....and might make me a little fearful of the fire hazard, too. What if it gets tipped over?

Carolynn

That would certainly be a concern Jessi! I have kids so candles already have to be put well out of reach. Supposedly if you use the whole can they will burn for 45 days though, and that is a LONG time.

Esperahol you cracked me up! :)

Jessi

I think I would rather scoop it out into some votives or mason jars. Then that could burn for a few days and be refilled or something. Or I'd have multiple candles to put in various places. Wouldn't it have a hard time burning after a while as the wick went down into the middle, too?

lettuce

We don't own any Crisco, but this sounds interesting. I think it's important to always be stocked up on candles/batteries/flashlights so you don't have to resort to cooking grease in a storm!

Pat

It is good to know this as a back up, if you do mot have a flashlight or candles on hand. My concern would be the fear of a fire with so much grease.

This time of the year we always stock up on batteries and candles in case of a storm. A campers stove is good to have also in case the lights are off for a while and you need to make a cup of tea.

This is an excellent idea. It is something that I would have never thought of. We usually carry crisco, or something along the lines of this with us when we are camping or just in our kitchen. I will have to remember this technique if I am ever in a situation where I need an emergency candle. Thanks for sharing!

What a great idea. I spend a lot of time camping in the mountains. I generally take along a can of Crisco to fry trout that we catch. I will now remember that it makes an fine emergency candle. I wonder if paper, rubbed with Crisco would also make a good emergency fire starter?

rosie

The cans provide a safer base if you only have taper candles to carry around. I'm going to keep my eyes open for some long wicks just in case. Thank you!

misumaru15

I had never heard of this before! You learn something new all the time. I also agree with using a small can of Crisco. Mmmm fried chicken sounds yummy. We used to use this all the time when I was little.

Waynefire

This is pretty amazing, I had never thought about the candles being made out of the cans of this. It does make sense this would work, though, because it is an oil based product and most of the time the candle wax is something which burns forever.

Carolynn

Believe it or not my hubby and I were talking about this tonight because we went to the store and yet again forgot to get some Crisco! This is just not something that we usually buy, but it is on the TOP of my grocery list for next week.

SweetPea

Did you also see the Orange candle? You scoop out the flesh of the orange and burn the white pith in the skin. I havent tried it so I cant really vouch for the outcome.

Nina

This post at least reminds me to pick up some more emergency candles. We used a lot of them during the last hurricane. We were without power for 8 days. I don't want to resort to using Crisco, but at least it's an alternative. The Crisco can also be used on the grill outside to fry up all those things in the freezer that are going bad. We fed the whole neighborhood for a few days there. French fries on the grill were great. So were the shrimp and chicken.

Sage

I think I may have to buy a small can of Crisco and try this. I wonder if it smells like you are frying something? We have emergency candles, but if the power is out for a long time, this might actually be more cost efficient.