I might grow oregano (and I don't even like it much)

StarGazer

A friend of ours has a lovely garden and a number of herbs growing along with vegetables. She brought us a bunch of parsley, chives and oregano from her garden the other day. As I was cleaning off the oregano to bag up, I was entranced with the smell. I don't normally use oregano often as it doesn't do a lot for me, but I may have to try something new with the fresh leaves. They smell much nicer than the bought stuff I usually deal with.

Aconite

Oh yeah, fresh herbs are the bomb! You get so much more fragrance and potency out of them growing in your back yard. Not to mention they taste better too!

herbalnut

Fresh is better most of the time. I love it when my dad brings me fresh veggies from the garden, especially during okra season! I agree with you that for the most part the fresh produce he brings me is much better than anything I've bought in the store. The one exception with my father's produce is watermelon, but that's mostly because he never picks them at the right time....

PaloVerde

I love the smell of oregano and citrus together. I don't know how it would taste if it was combined, but the scent is wonderful. I was at a festival this summer and a lady had all kinds of homemade candles. One was a citrus oregano scent and another was citrus basil. Very nice.

Lyra

Oh, gosh, oregano is one of my favorite herbs! It is such a versatile flavor. I do find that some grocery store oregano is bitter. Usually the cheaper stuff is just not as good. But I agree that fresh is better yet. I love it on fried potatoes or in meatballs, with fresh basil.

StarGazer

Really, yfnn? I haven't found anything about medicinal properties to do with oregano. What health benefits are there? Do you have any links to research or even anecdotal evidence?