How to make new candles from old

beyreNC

I've searched around the internet, but couldn't really find simple step-by-step instructions.

I have large candles that I've bought and have used (mostly during power outages). Now the wax is so far down (created a hole) that I think there is an oxygen issue and the wick doesn't burn long or they are hard to get at to light. I hate to throw out the candles because there is still a fair bit of wax left.

I have a bunch of votive (and similar) sized candle holders and I have wicks.

What is the best (and easiest) process to melt the wax from the large candles and pour them into the smaller votives to make new usable candles? At what point do I put in the wicks? (some have the little metal stands and some I don't)

I'll need to know exactly what kind of pots/pans and other supplies to use. I am a complete novice when it comes to the anatomy and dynamics of candle making, so please really do dumb it down for me into easy to digest bite steps.

thatgirl

There are so many ways to do this that it is really up to you and how detailed you want to get. One method is to place a coffee can with your old candle bits inside a crockpot. Don't fill the can more than half full of candle bits because melted wax is hot!

Fill the crockpot with water until it's 1/3 - 1/2 the way up the coffee can and turn the heat to low. Within an hour or so you should have melted wax. Use a pot holder to remove the coffee can and pour the melted wax into your votive holders. Wax will shrink and settle as it cools, leaving a depression around your wick, so when I made candles I often went back later and topped up with more melted wax.

One way to use the wicks that don't have a metal base is to dip them in your wax a few times before you pour the candles. That will make the wicks stronger when you drop them in. Let the candles cool a few minutes before dropping in your wicks or else the coating won't help.

I hope this helps get you started. There are so many ways to reuse wax, the only wrong way is to do it unsafely! Start out slow and small and find out what works for you.

rayne

Wow, what a process. A good way to recycle and conserve but sounds time consuming. Maybe one day when I retire, I can do things like this. Maybe!

Scarletpyxi

I just did this a few months ago. I took a tin that was used to store tea and cut it down, then I decided what layers I wanted for the candles (by color). After that I broke up the colors of old wax into chunks using scissors (being careful to protect the wicks of tapers, and separated them by what layer I wanted them in, so I had many piles. I took wicks out of my long tapers and tied wicks together as needed to get the length I desired. I washed out old jam jars and knotted one end of each wick piece. I lowered the knotted end of the wick into the center of the base of the jar. I then boiled some water and lowered the tin into it with one layer pile and melted it. I poured it into the jar and placed it in the freezer to cool. I then repeated this process to create the first layer on all my remaining candles and I continued to melt down piles, add layers, and let them cool until each candle got large enough. I trimmed the wicks so two inches or less stuck out from the wax.

MJ175

This is all so interesting to me. I would love to make a candle that smells like...well, I don't want to give my idea away! (Because I plan on selling these candles.) But anyway, my idea is to buy some cheap scented candles and then mix them together until I get the exact scent I'm looking for. What would be an easy way to melt candle wax? I mean really easy...nothing with crock pots or anything like that. I'll narrow it down to 2 simple questions:

1.) What is a safe container to melt candle wax in?
2.) What can I use to melt it? A stove flame? Boiling water? etc. Thanks for any tips/advice! :) :)

tram

I'm very interested in learning how to do this
i have a lot of unused candles that have so much excess wax and i don't want to waste it
candels do cost money
how would i get started with all of the excess candel wax
like how would i melt it and stuff
im excited to learn and start working on this

SoftRain

Whenever I need to melt wax (new or old) I use a double boiler on my stove. If you choose to do this, be aware that it can be challenging to clean wax out, so I wouldn't recommend using the double boiler for food once you've used it for wax.

Jessi

Others gave you a bunch of tips, so I won't go through the process of telling you how to do that portion.

I will give you a tip on how to get the original candle wax out of those jars to begin with, though, because that can be annoying. Freeze them! Once they're frozen, use a knife to slice into the wax in a few sections and the pieces will pop right out.

tiff

Making new candles form old ones is a great idea! And there are a lot of helpful tips here. I'm thinking of gathering old wax form neighbors, wherever really. I can make candles and sell them for a cheaper price! what do you guys think?

Jessi

Making new candles form old ones is a great idea! And there are a lot of helpful tips here. I'm thinking of gathering old wax form neighbors, wherever really. I can make candles and sell them for a cheaper price! what do you guys think?
I think it's a great idea. If you get creative with it at all, then you could easily create a business out of it. Do you have a craft market near you at all? Or have you tried out Etsy before?

Esperahol

Sounds great, but with small ones and clumsy large ones running about the house... It would probably be best not to try this right now. I may give it a shot in the future though, if I can carve out enough time.