How much coffee?

Alli

How much coffee is too much? I used to drink a whole pot before noon and have a couple more cups in the afternoon. I have managed to limit myself to 3 cups in the morning now and every now and then have an afternoon cup. How much do you drink?

hppyfngy

That's a lot of coffee Alli...

Why do you think you need that much? I know coffee has some health benefits, but caffeine causes a lot of problems in the long run.

Personally, I only have coffee as a treat and that's rare. One demitasse a week, if that. I do have black tea, one cup in the morning, and that's it. Green tea any other time.

I know it's an individual thing, but sounds to me like you ought to try to back off some. IMHO :)

Myrrh

I limit my coffee intake to three cups a day. Most days, I have two - one in the morning and another in the evening. I read somewhere before that the recommended daily allowance for caffeine is 400 mg per day. That's around 4 cups of coffee.

Aconite

Yeah, I think it's going to be different for everybody but I usually limit myself to 3 cups in the morning. That's usually all I need to get going. I never drink it in the afternoon either. At that point, I'm already up so I don't like drinking it at that time.

Raspberry Leaf

I think it depends on your individual tolerance. I used to be able to drink an entire pot of coffee by myself when I was younger. Not anymore! I can barely handle two cups of coffee without it making me jittery.

Carol Kenny

I completely agree with Rashpberry Leaf as it depends on our immune to how much coffee is fine and not harmful for health.

Aconite

Well, I will confess something. I have gone a little crazy with my new espresso machine and a couple of days I actually had a double latte...twice! So that means I had 4 shots of espresso total and I was up all night! Doh!

2Nature

That is a lot of coffee. I don't drink coffee at all but I enjoy an occasional cup, I like the flavor. On the other hand my wife can't get up in the morning without one.

Aconite

That is a lot of coffee. I don't drink coffee at all but I enjoy an occasional cup, I like the flavor. On the other hand my wife can't get up in the morning without one.
Me neither, I am Mr. Grumpy pants without my daily dose of caffeine. I don't like to go crazy with it like I have been with the espresso machine but it's a new gift so I had a little fun!