How long is too long?

Iben

A thread about longevity here makes me wonder about this. How long do you think is too long to live in this tiny planet? Does everyone here aim to reach 100 years of age?

BettyKane

I aim to reach what ever age the good Lord let's me! I don't think many of us have an idea of how long we will be around. I hope to try and stay in good health and just enjoy whatever time I have.

Novembre

I don't aim to reach certain age. Life is not about milestones. I would just try to live my life to the fullest. Sounds cliche but it's true.

kamcalli

I have no set date and I am okay with that, it reminds me to live each day to the fullest. What I do in the time here is what counts and it will be what shows in those things I live behind when I go.

freshfoodie

I agree,I don't want to put an expiration date on my life, I just want to live it. If the good Lord sees fit to leave me here for 100 years or more then I suppose I will just have to deal with it.

Asturian

I think we can make a club here. I don't really care about how long I will live either. However, I cannot imagine living more than 100 years. It's a bit too long for me.

wanderingherb

LOL. I know a person can say what they want, but you never know when your time will expire. BUT...living healthy to the best of your ability is not just for quantity, it is for quality while here.

Asturian

I agree with you, being and staying healthy is a good way of living your life to the fullest. You wouldn't be able enjoy your life if you had serious health problems.

Basil Nut

If I set a goal for myself to live to be a hundred, would I feel short-changed if I didn't make it that far? I had a professor once who was determined to see the year 2000 come in. He did, and was at least 99 when he died. He wouldn't shake people's hands, though, or hug them, and scarfed down lots of vitamin C. I think I'd prefer to keep on hugging.

SjNative

Although I would love to live on this planet forever, I wouldn't want to live past the age of 70 or so mainly because I don't want to have to deal with a lot of the pain and sicknesses i would experience. I have gotten a lot of injuries and am prone to arthritis in all my joints so I know that when I am older, I am going to have a tough time moving around and getting to places. My grandma is currently at a health 83 years old and she still takes long walks in the mornings and afternoons. I hope that I could be as healthy as her in the future.

hunysukle

To me it's not about how many years I live, but the quality of the years that I live. I would rather have a very special life with lots of accomplishments and live to be 50, than a long, dull life with no accomplishments and live to be 100.

I am not sure if I can get that far. All my family that has passed away only managed to cross the 80 mark. Maybe if I keep up with my healthy living, I can beat that record.

lettuce

I would like to live for a few hundred years, no longer. This could be possible if we could all move away from false hope and time wasters like religion and invest our efforts in science. Basically, I would like to live as long as there are still interesting things to experience in the world, and the conditions from overpopulation are not miserable.

siddh

A thread about longevity here makes me wonder about this. How long do you think is too long to live in this tiny planet? Does everyone here aim to reach 100 years of age?
To live to be 100 will not mean anything if a person is not happy with his life at present. The longevity to life means to live life to the fullest. Think for a moment what you want to achieve the most in life. How your life will change when you have everything you want. If you can enjoy every second of your life then you will certainly like to live longer and healthier. That is the real purpose of longevity that i can understand.

amelia

Two of my great-grandmothers lived to be over a hundred, so I always assumed I'd make it there, at least after safely passing my twenties. But I'm not sure if I've ever considered what to do with those years and if it's actually worth it. Are any of you actually over ninety? I'd love to hear your perspective. I mean, I don't expect anyone to say "I'm 96 and I wish I were dead," but.. how is your mind, your body, your life?

As long as I am healthy, I will be happy with as long as God feels that I should be on this earth. I would love to make it to certain milestones such as my children's weddings and meeting my grandchildren. I wouldn't mind living to a ripe old age since my grandfather just passed away at 96 and lived a very happy and relatively healthy life. My grandfather on the other side though, died in his 70's with many health problems, and I don't think either of them would have wanted to go on suffering. I don't want to be old and stuck in bed for years on end, but if I am still able to be healthy and active, I will be happy to get as old as the Lord will let me!

If the world wasn't bombarded with pollution in all sorts of kind, it is very possible to reach 100s of age old. I honestly would want to live to the fullest age there is because I think it will be wonderful to see how time passes by and how things change over time. But then, I make each as if it were the last. This way, I 'll day saying I lived my life to the fullest :)

Somniate

Right now I'd just like to make sure I make it to the end of this year. The future, and where I'm going with my life, is... I don't know. I have plans, and ideas, and my life is defined in those, not just years, I guess.

I think that's common for people in their twenties, though. People have told me it is.

(I'm sorry if this came off as rambling. It's late where I'm at.)

I think the actual length of life is not the most important thing. I remember reading that Alexander the Great, when he was young, was asked whether he wanted a long and peaceful life or a short and glorious one. He chose short and glorious.

For me, it's what I put into my life that matters the most. Let it be glorious. If it's going to be short, so be it. I would have no regrets.