How do you feel about the impending corn and beef shortage?

SweetPea

Its been all over the news, warning us of the shortages to come. Will you just do without foods made with those or will you make room in your budget for the higher prices?

Esperahol

...What shortage? I haven't hearn word one and I take in a great deal of news. I would think perhaps there is an impending corn shortage(heatwave), but I;m not sure what would be wrong with the beef?

Beth23

We don't have a shortage on beef. I heard about corn but I don't use corn or any corn products especially if they come from a Monsanto GMO crop. I wouldn't miss corn for a minute.

I get my beef from local farmers in bulk and they haven't mentioned a shortage. Its fresh, pasture fed, no hormones and when you buy it in bulk this way its not really that expensive compared to the beef they sell in the store. I think our last batch ranged between 6 to 10 cents more a pound depending on the cut compared to the current prices at shoprite.

Parker

I haven't heard about the shortage either. I don't eat either beef or corn so it won't affect me directly.

HealthyS7

Prices are going to shoot way up for the corn shortage because everything has some sort of high fructose corn syrup in it. Everything from food to pet food. Corn is in so much of our diets without us even realizing it. I don't consume a lot of beef so I will just cut it out of my diet.

misumaru15

I have been eating more chicken. With this increase I'll still continue to eat more veggies. I am looking for more tofu dishes too.

artistry

More than those shortages, corn is used for so many products, so there will be shortages of those items as well, cereals, syrups, popcorn, grits, and so many other items. This will also cause an increase in prices, it's going to become a serious problem, in my opinion.

Carolynn

What do you guys think the cattle, and the pigs, and the chickens eat? Right now there is surplus meat on the markets because farmers are slaughtering them because they can't afford to feed them. The meat and corn shortage is going to be a huge deal and prices will skyrocket. Corn is in everything from fruit juice and cereal to diapers, and your gas tank.

I think its just a politics game...shorten the supply to drive up prices...they literally will pay farmers not to grow anything. Buut if I'm wrong then maybe people will go old school and use food must for survival instead of pleasure

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk

Beth23

High fructose corn syrup is like poison. Its why Americans are so fat. I avoid it as much as possible. I think the corn shortage may do people good. Junk food wont be so cheap and easy to obtain.

rayne

I have heard the same thing SweetPea. "They" say that the shortage will be more prevalent next year than this year due to grain storage. Prices on anything that has corn in it are supposed to skyrocket. Beef is included in this because cows eat corn. I think I'll try to find alternatives to offset the prices so I can stay within my grocery budget.

dissn_it

I think I'll try to find alternatives to offset the prices so I can stay within my grocery budget.
Same here. I am not sure how high prices will go but I am pretty certain our wages won't go up! I'll be looking for alternatives and other ways to put food on the table, like hunting and fishing.

Basil Nut

We've been trying to cut down on beef, so this may actually help us do so. We do use corn and whole grains, plus the fresh produce prices have gone up so much already. I have cut down on how much I actually buy and try to waste less.

Jessi

I hadn't heard about either. It makes sense why beef prices would go up if their food source is going up in price, too. I don't know just how much it'll effect the prices, though.

brighteyes79

I think its just a politics game...shorten the supply to drive up prices...they literally will pay farmers not to grow anything. Buut if I'm wrong then maybe people will go old school and use food must for survival instead of pleasure

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk
There are lots of pictures of shriveled up and dying corn and wheat crops. I don't believe a lot of what "they" say either, but in this instance it is pretty obvious that no rain equals no crops. Good luck on finding alternatives guys, but the price of EVERYTHING will go up, because we put corn in our gas tanks to get it moved to the stores. Whoever came up with that idea is a genius! :rolleyes: My family will be in the woods taking as many deer as we can for our alternative, and hopefully we will run across a wild boar or two as well.

writer811

Grain is already more expensive because of the drought and it makes sense that corn and beef is going to follow. Less crops not only means less food for us, it means less food for the animals that we eat. Less food for the animals means less meat for us. So we're short on grain, corn and meat because of this drought and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

Carolynn

Supposedly, we won't really start feeling the effects until 2013, but I know in my area meat prices are already starting to go up. So have gas prices for that matter. They went up nearly 15 cents in a week!

freshfoodie

We don't eat a lot of beef and I don't buy a whole lot of processed foods like cereal, fruit juices, etc. I try to eat fresh foods including meats, whenever possible. I don't think that this shortage will affect me that much but I will keep an eye on it.

Aletha

It will affect everyone unfortunately. Any animal that is slaughtered for food feeds on corn or wheat. So in addition to corn and corn derivitives being priced out of sight, the animals that feed on corn or wheat will be out of sight. I think they will also try to bump up the price of everything as well to take advantage of the problem.

ohiotom76

If the price of corn is going to skyrocket, why can't they just start using sugar again in place of corn syrup? I wouldn't really be affected by the beef shortage personally, since I rarely buy it at the store to begin with since it's so expensive. The only time I eat beef is if I'm going out for a special occasion, or once in a blue moon I'll grab some fast food. But other than that I mainly stick to chicken.