homemade soap?

herbalhannah

Anyone make their own soaps? I want to try my hand at it and am wondering how many else have done it. It looks very intriguing.

peace

I have never done it myself. I have heard it is not very hard but for some reason the whole thing intimidates me. I would love to hear how people make it and what scents you can incorporate in to soaps.

herbalhannah

I have been experimenting with some scent options, I have one that has a high note of lime and a low note of vanilla as well as another with a high note of sandalwood and a low note of vanilla. Both are soft scents, not over bearing and are basically unisex.

want2learn

Those both sound good herbalhannah! I have always wanted to try making my own soaps but I have never really been sure how to get started.

herbalhannah

There are some really great books and some really great sites that will walk you through it completely. They thought of using lye is kinda scary but as long as you are careful and always add the lye to the water and the lye mix to the fats and wear gloves and goggles everything should be okay.

CaughtInAmber

You just have to follow directions and make sure you are in an open area when you make lye soap. You must maintain a steady temperature for the soap to harden also. Otherwise-it's been done for hundreds of years so I don't think it could be all that hard.

GetGoing

The results of these soaps would be rectangular with hard edges right? I think the distinct advantage of this would is that you can use as much of the scent as you want ---unless there is a limit to the number of drops (or teaspoons?) of scent you can use?

herbalhannah

This is my first batch I made yesterday, it is still in the mold. I used ground lavender, lavender Essential Oil and some Salt, I am very impressed with my swirls.

CaughtInAmber

OM Goodness! That's beautiful! You did a wonderful job on it. I have a friend nearby who makes her soaps out of herbs and they are wonderful! She sells them at $10 for three bars and she can't keep it made fast enough.

herbalhannah

That's cool. Eventually I'd like to supplement my income with the bath and body products, this is a start for me. The soap was surprisingly easy

Whitecrow

Making soap is both easy and satisfying, plus it can bring in a little money. I have taught soapmaking (cold process), would be happy to answer any questions. Also have written a little book on the history of soap.

wanderingherb

Making soap is both easy and satisfying, plus it can bring in a little money. I have taught soapmaking (cold process), would be happy to answer any questions. Also have written a little book on the history of soap.
Do you sell your book? I'm always interested in individuals who are turning into authors to provide us with information!

Wanderingherb

Hedda

I have a friend who makes lots of soaps. She is absolutely hooked on it. She has a lot of skin sensitivities, and likes to know exactly what's in it.

Joyce

I am the same way, I like to know what is in my bath products as well as my food. Our skin has issues so this is the best way to combat it in the most part.

Amy Lynn Adams

I just finished yesterday making 4 small batches while the kids were playing with their presents, it's my form of relaxation. I just did some simple herbal blends which is 1 cup of soap base to 1/2 cup dried flowering herb, 3 Tbs water and 4 Tbs of oil (I like using Jojoba & almond). These set up in there molds pretty quickly, the only down side is you have to let them cure for about 2 weeks. But it's pretty simple & they look pretty cool.