Homemade Pet Food

moondrop

I have an acquaintance who makes all her own pet food. She says her cats are healthier since they stopped eating all the questionable ingredients in commercial food.

Is this something you do? If so, are your pets healthier, with maybe less smelly waste?

We don't make our dog food completely from scratch, but we do add home cooked ingredients to the packaged dog food we buy. Does that count as homemade? ;-)

Our pets were healthy before, so I can't say that "people food" has made them any MORE healthy, and it DEFINITELY hasn't done anything to improve the smell of their waste!!

DixieMarie

I would certainly be interested in reading some recipes from those who make their own pet food. Ones for cats and dogs. Do you need different for each? Please share if you have some.

chabella

All Lady
I have read all types of sites on doing it but I have never attempted it. I honestly have no idea how many hours I would need to put into it either and that kind of worries me. I already have enough on my plate right now.

dissn_it

I would be interested in the dog food recipe. I think my concern is making sure my old basset hound gets the proper nutrition he needs as an elderly canine. It is also very easy for a basset to gain weight so I'd have to be careful with that, too.

MrsFlipFlops

I've always wondered how people judge a healthy pet. We have a lab who has a shiny coat, she's in the right weight range, she's active. We feed her plain Purina, which I've heard has things like corn that isn't good for them. I should probably read the ingredient list. But how would I even know if she's unhealthy?

My grandpa used to make his dog food- he lived on a farm and prepared lots of meat and veggies.

Hyacinth

I have never tried making homemade pet food for our dogs. I didn't even know it's possible. :) I am interested to know any recipe. If it's quite easy to prepare and not time consuming, I might give it a shot.

Mrs. Rogers

I've read a lot of the recipes but they all sound so time consuming I've never even attempted it. I would, however, like to read your friend's recipe just to see!

shaunche

My nan has been using a homemade cat food recipe for 15 years. She makes a stock using bones, once it cools and becomes gelatinous, she adds tins of mashed up sardines to the stock jelly.

It really depends in my mood. When I make the dogs their food, it will generally lead to them not drinking as much water. However, I also notice they are full of more energy and not as ravenously hungry when I use strictly dog food.

I would like to make my pets' food but it does sound pretty tedious. I don't even like to cook my food. Plus, my dog is always begging for what I eat. I have cut down on what I give her though.

SEA81

My parents do that (chicken and rice mixture), and I do believe it helps with skin allergies. I wish I had the time/patience to do it!

We've made homemade peanut butter and banana treats for our dog before but it's been a long time ago. It was simple and fun. I did it with the kids and then let them feed the dog the treats. We had just gotten the dog and it was great way for them to get to know each other in a very positive way.

EthanWang

Normally i just feed my dog with the leftovers. I think its healthy enough as meats contribute a very small part in my diet ( Still i can't eat if theres no meats in my meal) . And i guess its ok because i havent experienced any problems with my berger :D . (And hes not so smelly too ^^) Hope this helped!