Homemade liquid hand soap

Carolynn

I found a recipe for making homemade liquid hand soap and it could not be any easier! In addition to be super easy to make it is far cheaper than store bought liquid hand soap.

All you need is a bar of your favorite soap, a grater, and a gallon of steaming (just steaming NOT boiling) water. Grate the soap, remove water from heat and dump your soap in. Stir the mixture and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Use a hand mixer to blend it well, and let it sit overnight. Blend again in the morning and then funnel it into your pump bottles. Store the extra soap in a gallon jug for refills. :)

lettuce

That sounds like a great recipe and steps to take for homemade liquid soap, Carolynn! The process seems like a modern soap maker's dream. Is the liquid soap capable of retaining lovely scents?

Brea

I was going to ask if it could retain scents, too. I guess it could not hurt to experiment. I would love to try to make a cinnamon apple scent. I bought some hand soap that had the loveliest cinnamon smell, that lingered on my hands. It was very nice.

2Nature

I've always wondered how hard was to do this and I always wanted to try. I like to be self reliant and do things around the house. I'm just wondering how effective this soap would be when compared to it's commercial counterparts?

Pat

This process is similar to saving the little bits of bar soap and making liquid soap from them.

Sometimes I use the little pieces to make bubble bath.

Hyacinth

Wow, this is really a no-sweat homemade liquid recipe. I was thinking if you could add essential oils to enhance the scent or its moisturizing effect. Lavender or vanilla would be nice!

Suzie

Maybe this is just me, but I don't understand why you would go through all that work when a bottle of the liquid soap is usually available for just a few bucks more. I guess a few bucks is worth the efforts. What other benefits are there to making your own liquid soap?

hunysukle

Wow, that seems really simple. I thought making homemade liquid soap would be a long, difficult process. However, I would much rather purchase all-natural liquid soap from Whole Foods and pay a few more dollars. Time equals money, so unless you have nothing to do all day, this process really isn't worth it (in my opinion). I suppose knowing this information would come in handy if you live far away from civilization and can't get to a store that often.

Anna T

That does sound easy. I have some homemade bar soap I use that I'd love to have in liquid form. I'll have to get around to trying this at some point.

I also wonder, like the others, about whether or not it would keep its scent. That would be important to me.

This sounds like it will be a great thing to try! Does this work for goats milk soap as well because it is already so liquidy? If not what type of soap do you use for the making of homemade soaps?

Lena51

I have always heard about making soap but never tried it and now that I am reading all of the information about soap making, I know this seems like an interesting task for myself. I want to make a special scent just for myself and if it smells delicious, maybe I will send some to my friends and relatives and ask them to be my tester for my special soap. That's very interesting to me and I will try it with all natural ingredients.

shaunche

This is a good idea. I would rather use liquid soap made from a soap bar than the liquid soap available at the shops, full of nasty chemicals. Will the mixture not set in the bottle? Is the texture similar to liquid soap you can buy?

redheadch2

Carolynn, does this come out thick or thin? I've seen a picture posted somewhere of some homemade liquid hand soap and it looked thick and creamy. The reason I ask, I like to use the foam soap dispensers because my kids use so much soap. I can put a lot less soap in them and it lasts a lot longer.

Maybe this is just me, but I don't understand why you would go through all that work when a bottle of the liquid soap is usually available for just a few bucks more. I guess a few bucks is worth the efforts. What other benefits are there to making your own liquid soap?
Well I can only speak for myself but as a single mom I am always looking for ways to save money. I have 3 kids so there is a lot of hand washing going on in my house and those "few dollars" add up. You can buy a three pack of bar soap for the same amount or less as one small bottle of hand soap and end up with more soap in the end. I also make my own laundry detergent and although it takes a little more effort and time than just going to the store and buying it, it is well worth the money I save and it works just as well.

Jessi

A few dollars DEFINITELY adds up. As Twinsmommy said, for the few bucks of a three pack, you can make about three *gallons* of liquid soap. Compare that to the few bucks it takes for every single bottle of liquid soap and you'll see how much money is being saved. It's quite the difference.