High fructose corn syrup

PaloVerde

I have been avoiding it like the plague but it seems to be in everything on the store shelves. I am glad to see some manufacturers are leaving it out due to public backlash against it. Studies show that it does not break down in the body the same way as regular sugars do.

Lyra

It is shocking what products you will find contain HFCS. Did you know a lot of sliced bread even has HFCS in it? It is just mind boggling. And I love the campaigns they run telling people there is no difference between it and sugar. That just isn't true.

StarGazer

I believe we can thank Monsanto for high fructose corn syrup or so I've been told. I was told that this comes from genetically modified corn. Whether the body treats it like regular sugar or not, I'm not happy with how many GMOs are in our food supply and that the companies aren't required to label them so we have a choice.

PaloVerde

I agree. Most corn and soy being grown now all belong to Monsanto in one way or another. They have made Frankenstein crops and then turned those into Frankenfoods. We are charged more for buying unadulterated foods. It's frightening where this will all end up if we don't take a stand and stop supporting it!

freshfoodie

I really do try to avoid most things with high fructose corn syrup. I try to avoid most processed foods though. If I do eat things like granola bars it is usually an organic brand that is also non-GMO like Lara.

PaloVerde

It's sad that you need to be a chemist these days just to read food labels. We really must have more transparency from food manufacturers about what they put into our foods. They have numerous names for some of the same chemicals and additives.

Aconite

That's why a lot of breads, and cookies, and crackers are now advertising on their labels that they don't have any HFCS in them. The backlash has been so great that they have no other option than to stop using it.

Speaking of the non-GMO movement, everybody should sign the petitions on Credo and other sites. Washington has a big voter initiative coming up. The Grocers Manufacturing Association is pouring money into the campaign to stop the bill from becoming law.

http://news.yahoo.com/food-giants-pour-millions-defeating-washington-gmo-label-235238929--sector.html

StarGazer

I've signed every petition that I've seen that wants more transparency with modified foods. I would also recommend writing to your state representatives in Congress to let them know how you feel. Let them know that it's an important issue to you and you will be voting accordingly.

Aconite

Absolutely! Calling and writing your representatives is probably the best way. If they hear from 5,000 people on one issue, they will take it seriously. Because even though, that might be a small percentage of their district, their office will be flooded with calls and emails. So this way they know they should take it seriously.

Apparently, the race on I-522 is still too close to call. Washington is a vote by mail state. Kind of weird but here is a link on the update.
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=1264263