Herbs that have bolted

Lyra

Do you have to stop harvesting herbs after they have bolted? Does it change the flavor? This may seem like a dumb question, but is there a way to keep them from flowering? I think I read somewhere that you should harvest before an herb starts flowering, but it seems like that would be a pretty short season of use.

rayne

There is a way to keep them from flowering Lyra, but you really have to stay on top of it. That's to go out every day and pinch off the part that's getting ready to bloom. Depending on the herb, I go ahead and harvest the leaves and flowers together.

Primrose

I do know that the bolted parts of some herbs are the only part harvested. Seems they are more potent than just the leaves. I do know when I harvest oregano, I use both leaves and seed parts. It's a little stronger and you use less.

Lyra

Look at that! I had no idea about any of this! I'm so glad I asked. I guess I have to do more research about the herbs I have in the garden this year. Primrose, could it be that cilantro is one of the herbs where you use the seeds?