Herbs that do well in low light

Hedda

Can anyone recommend an herb or two that will grow well in low light conditions? I have spot in mind on the north side of my house where I would like to plant some herbs as ground cover.

SoftRain

Here is an article with seven different herbs that grow well in shade. I don't know if any of them are the varieties you wanted to grow, but hopefully one will work for you.

Hedda

Great article---thanks! I have considered planting Sweet Woodruff. I never realized it is considered to be an herb. It is readily abundant in the nurseries in my area, so I will probably give it a go. The white flowers are plus too.

BettyKane

That was a nice article and I bookmarked it so I can come back to read it more thoroughly later. I'm always wondering what I can put in those areas that don't get a lot of sun.

catevanne

I know that mint-both peppermint and spearmint-grow well just about anywhere....try mint, but watch out as it will take over and grow very prolifically.

Primrose

It is a great article. I'll revisit it in the spring. Oregano and sage grow quite well in my front flower bed and only get about 1 hour a day of direct sunlight. The rest of the day is shaded. Both are trying to take over the bed so be careful what you plant. I plant to prune unmercifully this spring and see what happens.

catevanne

Oregano and sage are great herbs to grow anywhere-and they smell so good! I like growing herbs because most of them will grow in almost any conditions.

I think I will plant some oregano and sage come spring. I also read the article and have bookmarked. I can't wait till I can get out and start planting again. :)

catevanne

It's so great to think about planting those beautiful herbs when you are stuck inside the house on a cold winter day. Thinking about planting them and seeing their beauty is what keeps me going during long winter days.

Trudy

SoftRain, thanks for posting that article. I've been looking to plant some things this spring and summer in a bed in the back yard. The trouble is there is just so much shade. Now that I'm cooking more, it would be nice to have some sort of herb garden.