Herbs in Salads

rayne

When I make a tossed salad, I generally add homegrown dried sweet basil and or oregano. It seems to make the salad taste better to me. The dried herbs seem to perk up an otherwise dull salad. Is it just my imagination?

strawberry

No I don't think it's your imagination. But use fresh herbs if you can. You'll really notice an even bigger difference in the flavor. I clip some off the plants on my windowsill.

wanderingherb

Yes its fun to use fresh too! I don't know if you live in the city, but here I can get in the forest quickly. Then in disturbed area's and I use dandelion leaves! THen to the beach and use goose tongue! It is a lot of fun. But really dried works as well just lacks moisture!

Brea

I have not tried adding dandelion to my salads. Just add the leaves, right? I forget, but which part of the dandelion is poisonous? I will admit I do not know what goose tongue is, but it sounds like it would spice up anything! :)

naturelady

I love the depth of flavor fresh herbs add to a salad. The trouble is that I rarely remember to add them! Both basil and oregano are so yummy.

Myrrh

It's definitely not your imagination. Herbs add zest to your salad! I have tried putting basil, oregano, coriander, and cress to my salad for a fresh twist.

2Nature

I can't get enough of basil, I put it literally everywhere not just salads. Herbs are great for spicing food. I mostly used dried herbs because it's more convenient.

jason

Have a great day
I love to toss them in there from time to time. Really deciding lately what would be good on pizza besides the typical herbs.

wanderingherb

I have not tried adding dandelion to my salads. Just add the leaves, right? I forget, but which part of the dandelion is poisonous? I will admit I do not know what goose tongue is, but it sounds like it would spice up anything! :)
Brea, there is no dangerous part of dandelion. Use the whole plant!

My favorite herb to add to a salad is chives. They are so good and give a unique flavor. Not only are they great raw in salads, but they are also great cooked in with soup. Chives are incredibly easy to grow and require little to no maintenance.

chabella

All Lady
Not at all! I tend to sneak all types of things into just about any food, salad included. My husband always has the same question "Whats in this", of course I never tell him. What fun would that be?

hunysukle

No, it's not just you imagination. Herbs add a lot of flavor to salads as well as soups and other foods. You just have to know the precise amount of herbs to add.

huullk

Yes its fun to use fresh too! I don't know if you live in the city, but here I can get in the forest quickly. Then in disturbed area's and I use dandelion leaves! THen to the beach and use goose tongue! It is a lot of fun. But really dried works as well just lacks moisture!

dissn_it

I love using fresh herbs in my green salads. I do not use any salad dressings any more, just the fresh herbs. I usually just add chopped up chives, some thyme and a little bit of basil to a salad. I have a small herg garden on my kitchen window sill, so if I have other herbs than need a bit of trimming, I'll add those to the salad as well.

freshfoodie

I also use dandelion greens, they are delicious. We call what we make a weed salad using those, spinach, herbs, and other wild and domesticated greens. I love it.

SoftRain

I need to start adding herbs to my salads. I'm not a big salad person but I bet some fresh cilantro or basil would change that!

I've never tried dandelion; isn't it bitter?