Health question in general

lolli

If we don't need all of our intestines why are they so long? I keep hearing about people getting weight-loss surgeries. I guess in some way or other these people get some of their intestines taken out. I get it but why do we have so many if we don't need them? Wouldn't a lot more people be a healthier weight if we did not have such long intestines?

chabella

All Lady
I really have no idea other than that is the way we were made. I guess I have never really stopped to think about it myself.

Aconite

Well, I have to be honest, I have never heard of this either. I think if we shortened our intestines, then we would have other problems with digestion etc. Maybe in the next evolutionary phase then?

2Nature

At the moment science says that we don't need all of our intestines which doesn't mean that it is true. I believe it's arrogant to assume that science is always right.

lolli

I have two friends that have had a weight-loss surgery. They both had some of their intestines removed. They are doing fine. They have not had any problem with digestion. I don't think science is always right though.

Lyra

You can be okay with some things removed. But all that says is that your amazing body is perhaps compensating for the missing parts. But it is quite likely that there are silent consequences we simply don't know to attribute to those parts having been removed.

We need that much intestine to properly absorb nutrition from our food. It doesn't mean you would die if you had to have a length removed. But just because you wouldn't die, doesn't mean it is useless.

2Nature

I believe that body is the infinite design. We can only assume what is really going on inside it. Current medicine is the proof of it.

lolli

Lyra... I agree. I think that is why that is the process in weight loss surgery. Their bodies are not absorbing the fat and calories from the foods they eat. They do have to take a lot of vitamins.

PaloVerde

My aunt had some of her large intestine removed due to illness and now she has to take vitamin B injections. So many nutrients are absorbed through the intestines that we need them. Plus, our diets have evolved from the caveman days but our bodies haven't changed much.