Growing stevia instead of buying

Penelope

I just found out that you can grow stevia - did you know that? Have you done it? You can put the leaves right in a hot liquid for sweetening so it's perfect for teas without having to do any processing.

Alli

No I didn't know that. I wonder if you could dry it for the winter? Stevia is quite expensive here so this would really be a big help. Do you know where to get the plants?

Penelope

Yes, you can dry and then pulverize the leaves to get the white powder like you can buy. That's the only waystevia will sweeten something cold so I plan on doing both. I haven't checked my local nurseries yet, but I read that you buy the seedlings from nurseries as it's very difficult to start from seed.

Trudy

I think I saw some of the plants at the farmer's market yesterday. I remember seeing something and thinking that I didn't know you could grow those. I didn't do anything but glance at the labels. I'll have to look again when I go back next Saturday.

Aletha

It's easily grown. I think it's a mint type plant because it grows so quickly and easily. I had a neighbor who used to use it quite a bit. She would dry it and keep it to use ever year and used it regularly.

Lyra

I just got a stevia plant yesterday! Well, technically it is still a seedling. I have never grown stevia before. I am excited to try a new herb and experiment with it in the kitchen.