Growing Rosemary

Change

I have never had any luck with growing rosemary. I love to use it in cooking and as a sachet for the linen drawer. I don't know if I just water it too much or too little. I've had gifts of a rosemary plant several times and they just seem to dry up. What could I be doing to kill my lovely plants?

jason

Have a great day
Rosemary likes well draining soil, a little sandy. It should get about 6-8 hours of full sunlight. Usually if you can provide the above, it grows pretty well.

Change

Thanks Jason. That may be what I'm doing. I've typically watered them to death I think. I may try some cactus potting soil and see if that helps me to get a good start. Thanks again!

Treehugger

I have a rosemary plant that I have had for 2 years now and it does great! I actually didn't end up putting it into the ground but just transferring it to bigger pots. If we have a real dry spell I water it if not I just let the rain take care of it.

Glinda

I had a rosemary plant for several years and I maintained it the same way as Treehugger. It was in a pot, but it stayed outside year round (I live in the south). It was the biggest, healthiest herb plant I have ever grown and I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it.