Green tea vs. black tea

Hedda

Does anyone happen to know if green tea has less caffeine than black tea? I have heard this before. Is it true, or a misnomer?

Cassia

I have always had the impression that there is more caffeine in black tea than in green tea. I tried to do a quick Google search and it seemed like there are differing views. Some say that black tea has higher caffeine content while others claim that the difference is not that significant.

Claudette

I think it's that the health benefits of green tea simply outweigh outweigh those of black tea. I also remember when black tea was so cheap to purchase. Green tea was more expensive. Black teas are catching up unless you hit a sale.

Hedda

When I drink green tea, it seems to have less caffeine than black tea. Black tee seems to "hit me" harder than green tea. I have read that the amount of caffeine is about the same in each, but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Valerienne

According to Mayo Clinic, the caffeine content in black tea can be higher than in green tea, but the values are always in brackets. So it probably depends on the species of tree that the leaves were collected from, the fermentation and drying process, and I guess also the brewing.