GMO foods

naturelady

How do you feel about genetically modified foods? I find them very, very scary. The companies that are behind them have shown that they have no sense of moral responsibility toward the rest of us. I think there are so many possible unintended consequences of GMO foods.

rayne

I totally agree. My concern is what they are doing to our bodies. I had a tomato recently that I did a test on. I sat it in my window sill just to see how long it would stay edible. Almost 3 months went by and that tomato was still as good as the day I bought it. This is not normal nor natural. Yes, it is scary.

chabella

All Lady
I think between food and even ourselves we are putting too much away from the natural order of things. No one/no thing can go on like this forever, its not the way nature was meant to be paced out.

Carolynn

I agree Chabella and I truly believe that something will happen in our lifetimes to restore the natural order of things. Whether it is an economic collapse, a plague or flu, or a natural disaster we have traveled too far in the wrong direction for there not to be a correction of some kind.

To me the scariest thing about GMO foods is that they don't have to tell you that it has been genetically modified. I think it should be on the label at the very least.

lettuce

GMO foods sound scary, but they are generally not in reality. They exist to feed more people, actually, and to produce better/more sustainable crops.

naturelady

The problem is unintended consequences. There are repercussions to tampering with DNA. We don't even begin to know what the long-term consequences are.

And that doesn't even touch on the awful reality that Monsanto, who is behind so many GMO foods, has made it their business to make sure as many crops as possible are "theirs", even to the point of suing small farmers when GMO seeds blow into their crops and cross-pollinate! We are all aware, I assume, that GMO seeds have to be re-bought every year? That you cannot use the seeds from the crop to start next year's crop?

SoftRain

I don't know a lot about GMO foods so I am not sure that they are really that bad for you but I do think they should be labeled so we know what we are eating.

Monsanto's actions are despicable.

Carolynn

I was aware of that nature lady. I am currently searching for a place to get good heirloom seeds online for our summer garden this year.

strawberry

The idea of genetically modified foods gives me the creeps. It may not affect us personally in our lifetime, but I have to wonder what's in store for our children and grandchildren if this becomes commonplace.

wanderingherb

They frighten me and I feel should not be allowed. At least there should be a law stating GMO needs to be labeled. My goodness as herbalists we are regulated beyond the high heaven and we are under the nutrition category. So if we are regulated for our healthy use of plants, why can GMO not be regulated for their harmful foods. People have the right to know what they are buying. Aggravates me.

MarBell

I am also scared of genetically altered foods of any kind. I don't care how they claim to be improving it, nothing beats eating what and how nature intended us to eat. Added hormones and preservatives do little compared to the harm they might cause.

Carolynn

Wanderingherb that is one of my biggest concerns too. If you want to sell it to the masses and they don't care enough to pay attention then fine. Companies should at least label the GMO's so those of us who want to avoid it can!

Esperahol

It won't hurt you and honestly it's not much different then how insulin is made now. Moreover it is a service that provides more and better foods for the enormous population.

raw butterfly

There is a lot of evidence that GMO foods are harmful. Here's just one site listing some serious problems.

If you scroll down to the feeding studies you will see that it has caused stomach ulcerations, problems with liver and kidney function (in some cases lasting for 3 generations), disturbed immune system cell populations, and the offspring of rats had 4 times the chance of dying as a normal rat. We're talking long term effects here that our children and grandchildren could suffer.

http://berlinnaturalbakery.com/blog/index.php/2010/03/26/scientific-evidence-documenting-the-negative-impacts-of-genetically-modified-gm-foods-on-human-and-animal-health-and-the-environment/

Also research has shown that:
GMO's are also less nutritious and they yeild less then standard crops. So they are not the answer so growing sustainable food, or solving world hunger. In fact that has never been the goal of monsanto, their goal is to make money. But they may have other goals as well... http://www.naturalnews.com/035105_Bill_Gates_Monsanto_eugenics.html

Finally, most people want GMO foods to be labeled! Here's one petition you can sign to say you're one of the millions that want's to know what you're eating. http://www.naturalnews.com/035223_GMO_labeling_petition.html

I find the foods scary as well. I am kind of shocked that people would let them be left unregulated for so long. Makes you wonder how long we have before they decide to modify the things again because the plants are getting sick because they lost their natural ability to fend for themselves.

Waynefire

Anytime you mess with the genetics of an item you are going to lose something. I read in a study where chickens would not even eat genetically modified foods. So this should tell you something about them, I know I have had some genetically modified foods in the past and they taste nothing like the heritage type of product.

MellowGuy

What is really disturbing is the fact that these foods do not need to be labeled. Consumers don't even get the chance to choose whether or not to opt in to these foods. Furthermore, any action to label them are constantly being opposed by businesses. Aside from short term concerns, these foods are new and we still don't know the long term effects or possible damage of GMO foods.

beyreNC

I'm by no means a "health nut" but I do try to watch what I eat for many of the obvious reasons. It isn't just Monsanto with their agenda, but also many other companies that distribute foods of all kinds. I live in a small, rural county in NC. Our major grocery stores stock meats, fruits and veggies that go bad super quick ... often times, within a day or so. In fact, you can see them going bad in the store and people are still buying them ... beef that isn't a healthy pink but a sickly brown, etc. Yet, I can go to the next county over (higher economic level) and the same grocery stores are selling much healthier meats, fruits and veggies ... of course at a higher price too. It's clearly "who cares about the poor ... give them the bad foods" thing.

This very topic was discussed on another forum I visit. I said there that while I don't want to sound like a conspiracy nut, it surely seems as if these types of companies literally want to kill people. I don't see any other reason for all the poisons and modifications they do to foods. Yes, you can say it's for money ... but look at how much money they are spending to add non-natural poisons to the foods, to genetically modify them, etc. It is much cheaper to put out natural foods. These companies can still make a great profit in doing so. Them spending the time and money to make poisoned foods just makes no sense.

Anna T

We try to avoid GMO foods, but seeing as how they are not labeled as such (when they should be), it's tricky. I have made peace with the fact that we will never be able to avoid them entirely because it's just in everything, but I do try to stay knowledgeable as far as what contains them and what doesn't and, when it makes sense, I avoid GMO's.

Parker

GMO foods sound scary, but they are generally not in reality. They exist to feed more people, actually, and to produce better/more sustainable crops.
That may have been the initial intent. Now, it's used by corporations to make cheap foods for maximum profit. These foods have not gone through the rigorous testing that a prescription drug would. What really bothers me that there is really no way to separate GMO plants from regular plants. The bees will just pollinate as they are supposed to do which will lead to cross pollination.