Getting more greens into diet

Nina

I know we need to get more leafy green vegetables into our diet. What are some ways others are doing this? I look through the shelves at the grocery store, but there are only so many deep green veggies to choose from. Are there any secrets?

shaunche

I enjoy eating leafy green vegetables, I eat cabbage every day. One recipe you could try is chicken saag. It is an Indian curry made with pureed spinach. It is easy to make and you can't really taste the spinach flavour, very good for you.

gina121

No secrets as such. You can choose any you fancy, or mix and match. One idea is to get a variety bag of salad leaves (all kinds of green leaves added), chop them fine, add a handful (or more) of canned red kidney beans, top it off with salt, pepper, lime juice to taste if you wish. Use this as a side dish. I occasionally even sprinkle my stews with some of these leaves. Anything goes really!

dissn_it

In the summer we do eat a lot more salads so it is much easier. In the winter, we usually just have them on sandwhiches. Spinach is probably one of the most versatile greens to use so it is one that I tend to use a lot of.

Parker

I eat a lot of lettuce, spinach, and cucumbers. I tried to eat kale, but it wasn't for me. I started taking powder wheat grass to more green to my diet. I also take a vegetable protein powder to my diet as well. I have to say that I do have a lot more energy!

ssamcd

I have never tried kale. I like lettuce, cucumbers and cabbage. When I make a sandwich I will pile on the lettuce and cucumbers. I am not very good at making salads. I will buy everything for it, but for some reason unless I am having visitors I prefer to pile it onto my sandwich. When I make a dinner I like to make cabbage with carrots green onions and swedes. It is so lovely. I will check out the kale.

Sugarhill

I use a lot of baby spinach in my meals. Sometimes, it will be cooked like with my eggs or when I fry up salmon and sometimes it will be on my sandwiches and in my wraps. Outside of that, I'll eat a lot of greens as a side dish to any main dish of meat, fish or poultry.

Cassia

We love salad. We usually use romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumber plus other fresh fruit. Steamed veggies are also a significant part of our meals. Broccoli and cauliflower are a favorite.

aphil

The way I get my greens in is to mix them in other foods I love. Like, cabbage stuffed with my favorites, sauted veggies and tofu/chicken etc., muffins or turnovers with greens in them. I make sure to eat salad too, with plenty of greens, but plenty of other treats as well; like baked veggies, or chesse, or gorbanza beans, etc. I also find that greens are tasty with nuts mixed in them or to make a puree with nuts or with mushrooms. I guess you can see that I enjoy eating.:)

I recently discovered that an awesome way to turn any meal into a gourmet meal is to set it on a plate on top of a bed of greens. Seriously, anything. Rice and chicken, beef, mashed potatoes... whatever you cooked, instead of putting it right on the plate, cover the plate in spinach leaves or arugula or something and then set it on top of that. You'll instantly feel like you're having a chef's dinner, and you get the added benefit of more greens in your diet.

iluvmario

I like to drink green smoothies. Just add pineapple, mango, grapes and spinach to a blender with some coconut milk. Add a little I and your smoothie is ready. You cannot taste the spinach at all.

Basil Nut

I like classicnyer's idea to add greens to the bottom of a meal and then pile on what you're eating anyway. We have been making smoothies and will try out the greens in the ones we make. That's a great tip.

I like to drink green smoothies. Just add pineapple, mango, grapes and spinach to a blender with some coconut milk. Add a little I and your smoothie is ready. You cannot taste the spinach at all.
I've only ever had one green smoothie in my life and it was awesome. I don't know what was in it, though, so I can't replicate it at home... but I'm going to try your recipe.

Kaybee517

I know we need to get more leafy green vegetables into our diet. What are some ways others are doing this? I look through the shelves at the grocery store, but there are only so many deep green veggies to choose from. Are there any secrets?
I know for myself, the best way to incorporate leafy greens is by eating salads. Instead of eating something like french fries with a sandwich, have a salad. There are so many different ways to prepare yummy salads for taste and health. It's easy, cheap and you can customize what you want on your salad how you like it.

I know for myself, the best way to incorporate leafy greens is by eating salads. Instead of eating something like french fries with a sandwich, have a salad. There are so many different ways to prepare yummy salads for taste and health. It's easy, cheap and you can customize what you want on your salad how you like it.
Or, you could put your greens right onto the sandwich, if you're not a salad person. Vegetables inside a sandwich are still vegetables. Every time I go to subway I try to load my sandwich up with vegetables.

FirstBaby2011

I make a green smoothie almost every morning. I add in a banana, an orange, an avocado, a little water, and about two handfuls of spinach. It's true; you cannot taste the spinach. I understand that some nutrients are lost during the blending process, but this is the quickest and easiest way for me to get a daily dose of leafy greens.

aquafina

One way that I get more green s into my life is to research raw recipes. Raw recipes use plants that are raw or dehydrated. I notice that if I just research vegan or vegetarian recipes I will get a lot of stuff about fake meat instead of actual vegetables and fruits. That is not the case with raw recipes. Also, just because the recipe is raw, does not mean you have to make it that way.

We've just discovered kale here. It's incredibly cheap and makes an awesome pesto if you use it in place of basil.
You should try it as a chip baked straight from your oven. One of my top favorites. :D

claudine

I'm not a big fan of leafy vegetables because for me they taste like grass but I've noticed that it's easier for me to accept them if I hide them in food that I enjoy eating:p . For example I always add some salad to my sandwich, to soup and even to my pizza. It just have to be cut into small pieces.