Getting Back to Yoga

SoftRain

I need to start taking yoga classes again. I stopped after my youngest was born and haven't been back since, but I miss it. I haven't gone back due to logistical issues but I hope we get those worked out soon so I can go!

lettuce

You could always get some yoga workout tapes or look up exercises online and do it yourself at home. You may not have the camaraderie of a class, but it sure is convenient!

DixieMarie

This is something that I have never tried but have been wanting to. I've heard a lot about it and have been seriously thinking of taking some classes lately.

chabella

All Lady
I am hoping to snag some videos that I can watch at home instead of taking a class. I am thinking it might help a bit with some of the back issues I have had lately. Oh the joy of getting old! :)

SoftRain

I've tried DVDs but I just don't have the discipline to do it on my own; classes work much better. Dixie and chabella, you really should try yoga out; it's wonderful and there are many different types to suit you. It can be very athletic or just soft gentle stretches or anything in between.

Sugarhill

For some reason, yoga is so underestimated. As SoftRain said, it can be quite the workout. But, what I loved the most about yoga was that it made me actually pay attention and listen to my body because you can also hurt yourself with yoga, if you force a position.

That really translated into other sports, especially weight training.

BonnyC

When I was in high school, I would wake up extra early to follow one of the yoga programs that came on a fitness channel. I absolutely loved it! I'd love to get back into yoga, myself. I just don't care for classes, I tried some after I had my second daughter to attempt to get back in shape. I guess I'm just too self conscious and prefer to do it on my own.

SifuPhil

Unless you already know the basic principles of yoga, investing in books or DVDs is in my opinion a waste of time and money.

Classes are necessary because performing a posture the wrong way - even if you're only off by a few millimeters - can lead to lack of results. I tell this to the people who ask me if I can recommend a good Taijiquan or Qigong book or video; if you don't already know the basics, AND have an expert instructor to monitor your posture, breathing and movement, you're just doing a fancy little dance.

The proliferation of the 'Net and the easy availability of videos in the home has led us to believe that we can master ANY subject if only we have cable and 'Net access, but that just isn't true. Yoga, like Taijiquan, is actually quite a complex subject to learn - only the fact that they've been dumbed-down for mass consumption makes them appear easy to learn on your own.

Randomhero

I dont really like Yoga but the benefits of doing it are amazing. I do Yoga X from P90X and X2 Yoga from P90X2( the new program sequel to P90X). Works out great and I enjoy it more than the usual yoga :).

Sugarhill

Unless you already know the basic principles of yoga, investing in books or DVDs is in my opinion a waste of time and money.

Classes are necessary because performing a posture the wrong way - even if you're only off by a few millimeters - can lead to lack of results. I tell this to the people who ask me if I can recommend a good Taijiquan or Qigong book or video; if you don't already know the basics, AND have an expert instructor to monitor your posture, breathing and movement, you're just doing a fancy little dance.

The proliferation of the 'Net and the easy availability of videos in the home has led us to believe that we can master ANY subject if only we have cable and 'Net access, but that just isn't true. Yoga, like Taijiquan, is actually quite a complex subject to learn - only the fact that they've been dumbed-down for mass consumption makes them appear easy to learn on your own.
No, I disagree. A book isn't your best bet, but a well made DVD can walk you through it and explain what you should be looking for and feeling as you do the positions.

Perhaps, I was fortunate to get some really good DVDs and perhaps, my athletic background helps, but I've had nothing but very positive results from practicing yoga at home with instruction from a DVD or this one show that I used to record.

SifuPhil

No, I disagree. A book isn't your best bet, but a well made DVD can walk you through it and explain what you should be looking for and feeling as you do the positions.

Perhaps, I was fortunate to get some really good DVDs and perhaps, my athletic background helps, but I've had nothing but very positive results from practicing yoga at home with instruction from a DVD or this one show that I used to record.
Most people tend to be only slightly self-aware when it comes to body mechanics. Ask any physical therapist or dance instructor - people can go through their entire life holding their head at an angle and believe that it's "right". They have little kinesthetic sense unless, like you, they are experienced in athletics and have received prior coaching.

I won't claim that you can't get SOME benefit from videos; only that you're not getting the full effect. This might be fine if all you want is basic relaxation and breathing practice, but if you're going for the higher levels of practice every posture, every breath and every thought are going to have to be "right-on".

Again, I'm not as experienced in yoga as I am in Taijiquan, but their basic postural and breathing techniques are quite similar. All too often I've seen people self-taught in Taiji from a DVD and what they're doing is often not only posturally and energetically incorrect but can also be dangerous.

Instructors provide many things - experience, a watchful eye for dangerous practice, motivation, hands-on correction (having an experienced set of hands PLACE you into a position can be vital) and a role-model to emulate. Four out of these five things I don't believe you can gain from a video.

Sugarhill

I see what you are saying and in many ways, I agree. I think that most people that really take yoga seriously will eventually move on from DVDs to classes. If for no other reason than from what I've seen, there is only a certain expert level a Yogi is willing to teach on a DVD.

They are aware and also believe that some things need to be practiced and taught under the watchful eye of an instructor.

So, I believe that a person can make a great start with DVDs and it's what they want to do within themselves and how much yoga has captured their heart and attention that determines where and how they continue their practice.

dziomek

I found the Wii Fit Yoga to be beneficial. I haven't utilized it lately, but I must stress I did feel better when I did it every morning. It is often difficult to get to a gym or Yoga class for many, and the Wii can be done when it is most convenient for you. the main thing is to try to stick to a regular schedule with your yoga or other exercise program, as it is very easy to put it off. I know I need to get back into it, and with my shoulder slowly getting better (dislocated it in January) I will be able to do more of the poses. It will help with regaining some mobility and strength as well.

Sugarhill

Absolutely. It will definitely help you recover from your dislocation. Just remember to listen to your body and move into your poses gently and then hold. It will all come back sooner than you think.