Gel or Wax

Thyme

I am about to put an order for materials. I want to make some candles as Christmas gifts. I was wondering if gel was better than wax. Since I am a newbie, I would like to know what works best and is more economical.

smellsrfun

Wax is cheaper to make but I think gel burns slower and longer. I prefer to get the gel candles, to me they are prettier. I also love it when people put things in the clear gel. As I said though, making gel candles is much more expensive.

Thyme

That is really interesting. What type of things do you like to see in the clear gel candles. Do you mean like dry flowers or little rocks or things like that? I guess the gel candles can also be colored, right?

boobah

I have never worked with gel but that is my next step. I started with wax because it was more conventional and I felt it would be easier. Since I have not tried gel I do not actually know if that is true.

Christine

Wax is definitely more economical. Soy wax unlike paraffin does not emit carcinogens since it's plant based where paraffin is a by-product of the oil industry (yuck). I don't know about Gel but that would be a big concern to me. I don't want to be breathing in toxins.

freshfoodie

I have only ever used the gel. I prefer it because it burns longer and doesn't get really hot like wax tends too. We also like to swirl colors in it and put things like seashells in it.

juno

Generally, wax is used for candle making. It's cheaper and better too. I've never used gel. Hence, I cannot comment on it. But, every one uses wax. If you use gel for candle making, then please share your experience with us.