Garlic

Myrrh

I was just reading a list of detox foods, and garlic was on the list. Accordingly, garlic contains allicin, a chemical that has a significant role in fighting against toxins and producing white blood cells.

SoftRain

Yes, I've heard garlic is good for detox. I wouldn't care if it wasn't; I adore garlic and use it in cooking quite a bit.

2Nature

Maybe it is good for detoxing on the inside but people around you would definitely disagree. :D I don't think there is anything else that smells as bad as garlic.

Lyra

Maybe it is good for detoxing on the inside but people around you would definitely disagree. :D I don't think there is anything else that smells as bad as garlic.
I guess you can use it to detox your life, too! I love garlic and all its benefits. Does it retain the benefit of allicin when it is cooked? Some of its properties are voided by heating it.

freshfoodie

I use garlic in a lot of things because I love the taste of it. I have never just eaten garlic or take garlic supplements though. I don't know if it retains the allicin with cooking.

2Nature

Some foods lose their properties when cooked but I know some that are better cooked. Does someone know where can we find such information online?

Myrrh

According to what I have just read, heating or cooking garlic prevents the production of allicin. They say that to minimize the loss of the compound, you should let the chopped or crushed garlic stand for 15 minutes (another site says 45 minutes) before cooking it.