Freezing Herbs

Primrose

Due to all the rain this year I have an over abundance of sage, oregano and basil. My neighbor told me to freeze it and then crumble before using in recipes during the winter. Have any of you ever done this?

herbalnut

I have frozen herbs before. To me it makes a lot of sense because I can use a little at a time when I need it throughout the wintertime. In my opinion, the best way to freeze is in a thin layer so you can easily break off what you need. Make sure they are dry before you freeze them.

Primrose

Thanks herbalnut. I'm planning on harvesting today. My basil has gown so large it's falling over so I want to get it before it falls to the ground. The oregano and sage is everywhere. I can harvest it all year round. Thanks for the advice!

StarGazer

Oh, you have to dry herbs before freezing? Oops. I have a baggie full of basil leaves in the freezer as someone on here said I could freeze them. They never mentioned drying the leaves first, so I thought I could just freeze them as is.

Primrose

StarGazer. herbalnut didn't mean dry them. She meant to make sure all the water was off them before putting in the freezer. They would be hard to use if they were coated in a layer of ice. I pat mine dry on a kitchen towel before freezing. It works very well.

Elberberry

I am new to using home-grown herbs. I was wondering about freezing them. Thanks, everyone, for the great information. Just one more reason I'm glad I found this forum.