Fracture Support

NatureMom

I fractured my wrist three weeks ago. A follow up x-ray today showed that it isn't healing too well and my treatment time has been extended by a couple of weeks.

Are there any herbs I can take to support bone healing?

Natural

I don't know exactly what kind of herbs will help your fracture but I do know that rubbing with oil will help ease the pain. Maybe eucalyptus oil will help in warming up the fractured area.

NatureMom

I have no access to the fracture as it is currently inside a fiberglass cast to keep the joint immobilised. It will be another four weeks now (making eight weeks in a cast) before I see it again!

Change

Have you heard of boneset? It's a plant that grows in the wild and I've heard that in older times, they would make a tea of the plant and drink it to help bones to knit. I would have to do a bit of research to make sure it's the plant I'm thinking of and if it was safe to consume but that was what first came to mind.

Change

Ok, got my herbal book out. Boneset was not used for bones at all but for something called "breakbone fever" and is considered a treatment for fever and also is a diuretic. Sorry, I knew I had heard something about it. I'll try to delve into my books and see if there is something else I can come up with.

SuzyQ

So sorry to hear about your problem. I have read somewhere that horsetail is good for this because it contains silicon and also marshmallow and turmeric which may be easier to get hold of.

Glinda

I think vitamin K speeds up the process of healing fractures. I'm not sure why or where I heard that, but you might want to check with your local health store to see if it's true.

NatureMom

Vitamin K is for blood clotting, which would have happened about four weeks ago, and wouldn't be ongoing. It is getting frustrating now-I'll keep reading. Thanks.