Foods you eat and urine color

smellsrfun

We had steamed beets last night with dinner and this morning when my daughter went to the bathroom she Screamed! She was yelling - mom there is something wrong with me... My "pee" is purple!

I had to explain to her that it was the beets! Isn't it funny how some foods make it change colors but not all foods. Why is this?

wonder

I don't know why some change the color of your urine - why do some foods change the smell? Like for instance when you eat asparagus your urine is very strong smelling.

I bet it was scary for her though!

Iben

Yeah, I also wonder why some foods change the color, other foods change the smell and the others change nothing. Is it because your body absorbs some substances of the foods and expels the others?

Georgina

It's really weird. I've never had beets so I have never experienced the color change. I do notice smells though. Asparagus makes your pee smell really strong and really bad. Coffee makes your pee smell like . . . coffee! That's what I deal with every time I spring for Starbucks.

Cassia

I haven't noticed that the color of my urine changes when I eat asparagus. I guess I have to be more observant next time. :D It's when I'm under medications that the smell become really different.

Equinox

I thought the color of your urine was determined by what you drink. I guess I thought wrong, but for me, I notice when I don't drink the bad drinks I enjoy and I stick to just water, that my urine is pretty much clear and odorless.

Asturian

It's when I'm under medications that the smell become really different.
Yeah, I notice that also and I hate it. When for any reason I have to take antibiotics, my urine always smells like penicillin. Is there any way to get rid of the smell?