Fear of needles

aunaturel

I've been told that acupuncture could help me with the chronic pain conditions that I have but I've never dared to try it. I'm totally petrified of needles - they have to hold me down to give me a shot for any reason. Is there any way to overcome this?

Trudy

These needles are so tiny you really don't even feel them. Just don't watch the professional putting them in, and you should be fine. I just read where a lot of celebrities swear by their acupuncture treatments.

aunaturel

Have you actually tried acupuncture, Trudy? It seems hard to believe that you wouldn't feel the needles. Then again, I'm still confused as to how acupuncture works or I should say, why it works.

WillieR

It doesn't hurt. I used to take my mother to have treatments for arthritis and she never felt them at all. It did seem to help her quite a bit too.

Lyra

The needles are not at all the same as hypodermics they use to administer shots. They are so thin, you will likely barely feel them. How bad can it be, compared to chronic pain? And if you talk to the practitioner and let him know that you are scared, I bet he will do everything possible to make you comfortable.

Myrth

I don't like shots either. But acupuncture needles really are so thin that I didn't feel them. Also, a good practitioner is skilled at inserting them, and so you won't feel it at all. Just don't watch! :)

sPeeDeeBee

Have you actually tried acupuncture? It seems hard to believe that you wouldn't feel the needles.
Sorry to contradict, but they do so hurt. I'm not at all queasy about needles, but I did acupuncture for years for chronic pain, and it hurt every time. Works for many, but not for me.

chabella

All Lady
From what I have seen they are shorter and thinner, so it is not exactly the same type of thing as getting a shot. I do not have the fear myself but I have yet to find a acupuncture near me. To try something like that I would love to get some word of mouth before I visit a new place.

Hyacinth

I haven't tried acupuncture myself, but the people I know who have had it say that they feel very little. People differ in terms of pain threshold, so acupuncture may be painful to some but not to others.

freshfoodie

I have never tried acupuncture, but I think it really depends on your pain threshold. I have a very high pain tolerance but I know others who balk at even the tiniest cut. I would really like to try it sometime, but I am not sure if there is anywhere close to me.

Cobbler

It's not really the needles or the pain I have a problem with here. It's going through it all and then finding out it didn't work. I just question the whole process I guess.