Ever start from real scratch?

peacenik

Most people don't really make homemade soap. They melt glycerin and add some things to make it prettier or smell nice. Anyone ever make real soap, starting with ashes and fat the old-fashioned way? I know lye soap is bad for your skin but wouldn't it be good for cleaning?

Bookfair

I haven't started with ashes. I have started by milking our own goats, getting various oils and lye. It made lovely soft, cream soap. Too good for cleaning. If you let it cure long enough it is not harsh on your skin. I added lemon myrtle oil. I must make some more.

SoftRain

I've heard of starting with lye, but I've never talked to anyone who started with ashes and fat. I don't even know how that works.

Trudy

My aunt used to make her own soap out in the yard in a big cast iron pot. She used lye, fat and ashes. I was a child back then, but she insisted for years on making that stuff. She's 93 now and uses store bought soap.

chabella

All Lady
I have never tried it myself but I am not sure I would have everything I need in order to get started. Where do you get everything from??

hunysukle

No, I have never made homemade soap. I may in the future for the fun of it, but I certainly won't be anytime soon. I would rather purchase organic soap and be done with it. I don't have time to make soap.