Enemas

Lyra

I have been hearing for some time that there are great health benefits to enemas. I think our society has gotten so far away from doing them that it seems very intrusive and gross to most of us. Are they good for you? And, if so, I wonder why we have gotten away from doing them?

Primrose

If you have regular and normal bowel movements why would you need to do an enema? Processed foods are taking their toll on America in the fact that our normal bodily functions are being altered and slowed. Fresh fruits and vegetables are the key to regular and normal bodily functions. I would love to here from others on this.

nutti

Why would you need to use an enema if you are regular? I wonder that too. I would use one if I couldn't go to the bathroom and it was the last straw. I think doctors like people to try pills before enemas these days too.

freshfoodie

I think Primrose is right. If you are going regularly you don't need to have an enema. I have actually read in several places where regular enemas can actually be bad for you in the long term. They stretch out your colon so that you are unable to have a bowel movement on your own.

detoxing

Enemas can be dangerous, actually. There are many cases of perforated intestines from home enema use every year. This stems from the quack idea that your colon must be cleansed. Proponents say fecal matter and toxins build up in therebut there is no scientific basis for that at all.