Eliminating Water Fluoridation

Aconite

Apparently, a rider in the 2014 House Appropriations Bill would cut back a lot of EPA’s work and prevent the agency from phasing out sulfuryl fluoride, a toxic fumigant used on food. We should all get together and contact our local representatives because fluoride accumulates in your tissues over time, wreaks havoc with enzymes, and produces a number of serious adverse health effects, including neurological and endocrine dysfunction.

Get this, 15 regional councils in Queensland, Australia are either stopping fluoridation or refusing to start it! Hamilton, NZ also recently voted to stop water fluoridation, so I don't see why we can't do it widespread here. Some cities and towns across the USA have already gotten rid of it. I've always said, if it's good for your teeth, which it's not, why do we have to drink it?!

StarGazer

Fluoride is good for your teeth, but it should sit on them, not be ingested. That's why it's in our toothpaste, which specifically says do not swallow. With that instruction, I can't believe anyone still thinks it's okay to have it in our drinking water.

Primrose

I remember getting fluoride treatments from the dentist when I was a kid. It didn't help my teeth a bit I don't think. I have almost all crowns in my mouth now. I do agree that it should not be in our drinking water. Chlorine is another issue with me. I can smell it when I turn on the faucet in my house. We put in a water treatment system years ago to help take care of some of these things.

Lilly

The water here is not even drinkable because it smells and tastes like pool water. I am sure that there is still fluoride in it here as well.

herbalnut

I really don't like the fluoride being in the water. It's not good for ingestion considering the toothpaste thing as mentioned above. It's also bad for hypothyroidism.

StarGazer

herbalnut, I wasn't aware of fluoride being bad for hypothyroidism. I've been diagnosed with this and have been taking B vitamins to help boost thyroid function. I've also been increasing my water intake for other reasons. I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot?

Aconite

Absolutely, Fluoride is terrible for your thyroid. That's why they started putting iodine in our table salt years ago to "regulate" our thyroid function. My mother has this problem too.

One way you can regulate your thyroid better, is with eating seaweed products like kelp. You can take a supplement for it and don't have to bother with those prescription thyroid pills. Dr. Mercola writes about this stuff all the time too.

herbalnut

herbalnut, I wasn't aware of fluoride being bad for hypothyroidism. I've been diagnosed with this and have been taking B vitamins to help boost thyroid function. I've also been increasing my water intake for other reasons. I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot?
It is a catch-22. I've read that you should avoid water that has fluoride in it if you have hypothyroidism. On the other hand they also say to drink lots of water, which water has fluoride added to it. It said to drink "steam-distilled" water, but I've never seen such a thing. I don't worry about it too much because I'm eating other things that are healthy for thyroid and avoiding the others.

Elberberry

I only drink purified water but I do use water from the tap for cooking. I suppose we are also exposed during bathing because I imagine a small amount could seep into our skin.